AC copper pipe freezing

Old 05-22-06, 04:38 PM
aro
AC copper pipe freezing

For some reason there is no air coming out from the AC vent. I when outside and unit had the fan turning inside but I noticed that the cupper pipes was completely frozen from unit all the way up to the attic. It’s like 100 degrees outside and 85 inside.
Does anybody have any idea what is wrong with my unit?

Last edited by aro; 05-22-06 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-06, 05:09 PM
It's low on freon.

The suction tube is frozen outside and the entire evaporator coil is frozen inside. It is not allowing any airflow through the coils so it is not coming out the vents.

Call for service.

Old 05-22-06, 05:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Frozen

There are only two things which will cause this. They are: Low on refrigerant or lack of air flow thru the indoor coil.
The first thing you need to do is to shut the A/C off & let it thaw. This will likely take 8 hours or more because the indoor coil is probably frozen solid. After it thaws, either call a service person or check the air filter to make sure it is clean. A dirty filter is the most common cause of A/C's freezing. If the filter is clean, turn on the fan only. If it runs & blows air, you are probably low on refrigerant. If it does not run either call a service company or post back & we can help you troubleshoot the system if you have a voltmeter & are not afraid to test live electrical circuits.

Old 05-22-06, 06:15 PM
aro
I have checked air filter and it was very dirty. I have replaced the filter and will wait until pipe thaws and will test the AC. If pipe still freezes I will call for service. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-24-06, 07:00 AM
aro
I have replaced the air filter and it was working just fine for a day. I had a same problem last night. Iím planning to call to the service.

Old 05-24-06, 12:13 PM
aro
Repair man came over and said that unit is low on freon. Then he attached the freon tank to the unit and told me that it should be 75 but the unit has only 50 (I assume pressure) and itís going to take about 2 lb of freon. He was half way on filling the freon when I asked him about how often freon needs to be refilled and he told me that it newer should be refilled and unit has a leak. It sounded strange to me that he didnít tell me about it before he even start the refill. I was expecting somebody to come over and fix the problem, but according to him this is a temporary solution and it can last a week, a month or all summer. He said that leak is usually in the coil in the attic and it costs about $1,200 to replace it. He also said that there is a pressure test that he can do to determine where the leak is, but it takes 2 days and $150.00 to perform that test and he doesnít have time to do it (one thing that I learned is that next time I call for the service Iíll ask for somebody that has time to work ). I have got the 5 ton Bryant unit that the builder has installed 5 years ago. You would think that they should last more then 5 yrs. Summer in Texas can get very hot and I donít know if I should call for service now or should I wait until unit runs out of freon again and call for the service then??? Is that test really takes 2 days. Do I really need that test? Please share your thoughts. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-24-06, 12:49 PM
Wink

Id say 2lb for 5 years is not bad at all .If thats what it is and not a new leak in the unit. Id say he could have put some die in it. To show up if he has to come back

He said that leak is usually in the coil in the attic and it costs about $1,200 to replace it. He also said that there is a pressure test that he can do to determine where the leak is, but it takes 2 days and $150.00 to perform that test and he doesnít have time to do it (one
Yes it can be in the coil and best put a new coil
in for sure. but we have many kind of tesat for a leaks. I have never heard of a pressure test. You can have say 300 lb on a highside when the unit runs. . There are ultrasonic, halogen and fluorescent leak detection systems we have that he can use. Id say he can find the leak in 2 to 3 hours with them.

ED my .02 cents