Window to wall AC unit question

Old 05-30-06, 09:04 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window to wall AC unit question

I currently have a 12,000 BTU GE in-wall unit installed in my apartment, one of the fan blades broke off and the switch is messed up. It looks like the parts would be over $100 alone, and I'd be waiting a week to get them (it's hot!!).

I was in home depot the other day and they had a 6,000 BTU model on sale for $100, but it's a window mount AC. It's about 1.5" smaller in height and about 6" smaller in width. Would there be any problems with installing this one in the sleeve and sealing off the extra space with foam or insulation or something? I think 12,000 BTU was overkill anyway, as my room is only 10'x15'.

thanks

Old 05-30-06, 09:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Shouldn't your landlord repair or replace this unit for you?
With that said, using window ac's as thru-the-wall units usually produces poor results, as window ac's have side and top vents which must remain open and unobstructed for proper operation. I agree that 12K is overkill for a 10x15 room. 6K to 8K sounds about right.
Good luck!

Old 05-30-06, 09:21 AM
K
Actually it's a condo, so I get to replace it myself

So a window unit wouldn't work then?

Old 05-30-06, 09:45 AM
I would be very hesitant to recommend installation of a unit with only half as much capacity as the old, even if the old one was somewhat oversized (which we really don't have enough information to determine). Aside from that, as long as a proper mounting system can be fabricated inside the existing hole, there's no problem. Just be aware that the unit needs to be secured in place. Just stuffing the voids with insulation isn't enough to hold it.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: