New evaporator coil and pan, old a/c

Old 06-07-06, 08:16 PM
J
jkm
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New evaporator coil and pan, old a/c

Our drain pan rusted through on a 12 year old attic central air unit. We have 2 estimates for having a new drain pan and evaporator coil installed--lowest bid around $900. One of the heating & cooling technicians said that the heating unit did not look like it had been used much--we just moved in and don't know the history.

Anyway, as long as we are spending this much money, it seems like we should consider replacing the outdoor condensor and compressor with something more efficient. But, maybe we should not replace the furnace since it is in good shape.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? How will not replacing the furnace at the same time effect the efficiency of the new a/c, since they share the same air handler/blower? Any other issues with this plan? Thanks, JKM

Old 06-07-06, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

More info helps. You say attic . so what full furnace??upright or does it lay down Gas .Electric? How long will you stay in this home.
How is the cost of fuel there can you go to a heatpump??
A new furnace would have a higher AFUE and the AC higher SEER

ED

Old 06-07-06, 08:36 PM
J
jkm
upright, gas, serving 800 sq feet

Hi,
it's an upright furnace, gas. It is in an unfinished part of the attic, under the rafters, pretty cramped. It only serves the finished attic--2 bedrooms and some common space, about 800 sq. feet. The attic is insulated, although we are going to be adding more insulation. I don't know much about heat pumps. We may not stay in the home more than a few years. We haven't really had a consistently cold month since we have been here (or hot for that matter), so I can't tell you about our bills. But, we are in Missouri so it can get pretty cold. The attic furnace is the same age as the attic a/c, by the way.
Thanks!

Old 06-08-06, 01:40 PM
Wink

Im in MO also. Lake of the Ozarks. About all we sell and put in are heat pumps here. Check and compare fuel cost for where you are . Go to
http://warmair.net
Id say replace it all for sure. It will help sell the home later on. Go for a low SEER on the AC and if you go gas a low AFUE on the furnace. AS you say you wont be in it long.

ED

Old 06-09-06, 05:55 AM
J
jkm
heat pumps

Thanks! I'll check into it. We've had two estimates for fixing just the evaporator coil and pan. I am going to arrange to find out a few prices for a whole new system.

I'm wondering if most heating and cooling places sell heat pumps, or would I have to go somewhere specializing in these? Also, how does the size compare to traditional systems? We have a very tight fit where the system is located now, under the eaves and behind a wall in the finished attic.

Also, in case I don't go with the heat pump, can anyone tell me if using the old air handler with a new evaporator coil inside, along with a new condensor and compressor unit outside, would possibly decrease the efficiency even if the evaporator coil and outside unit were a "matched" system?
and,
What is the chance a more energy efficient evaporator coil could fit in the old air handler--are the coils bigger than the older, less efficient ones?

Thanks

Old 06-09-06, 12:37 PM
Wink

All HVAC companys should sell heat pumps. They are the same as a AC unit is all. A blower coil unit for a heat pump should take less room than a furnace and coil up there in the attic.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: