Freus?

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-06, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Freus?

Has anyone had any experience with Freus? They have a water cooled condenser unit that has been recommended to me as a viable replacement for my 12 year old unit that is on it's way out.

Last edited by buzmeg; 06-10-06 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-06, 08:33 PM
jrlvnv
Visiting Guest
Mine is about ready to go and trying to get information on a Freus. I was told since vegas water is hard that it will have a lot of problems but that was told by someone that didn't install them plus I have a water softner that does soften all the water that comes in from the street. Anyone like/dislike this Freus system?

Old 06-23-06, 08:57 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
http://www.freus.com/index.html

I don't know how well they work but their website is definately lacking. If this is any suggestion of how thier company works, I would proceed with much caution.

Old 06-23-06, 09:46 PM
Wink

I dont know that water cooled condenser. But over the years i have worked on a lot of water cooled set up. No way do you want one. The cost to keep them up with all the cleaning and different chemical That have to be used to keep them clean. It dont matter if you have soft water , on a well or city water a water tower or even on boats you are always have to clean the heat xechanger. Over the years I think we have taken them all out here

ED

Old 06-25-06, 01:13 AM
jrlvnv
Visiting Guest
I was asking around work today and ran into somebody that bought a freus a month ago. He has over 3k sq ft in his house with a pool and about 6 TV's running all the time. Said with his old unit that he couldn't even see the electrice meter spin it was spinning so fast with his AC running. Now with the Freus system it takes about 6 seconds to make a complete circle and mine takes about 5 seconds now and I have a lot less house then he does... About 1/2 the size to be exact.

I called about the service plan and they do service it free for 3 years and after that they charge 150 a year to come out and winterize it. Half of me wants it since it is a 20 seer with a very high EER rating and in Vegas a EER rating seems to fit a lot better then the SEER. From my understanding of a SEER rating is that its based off of a outside tempurture of 80 degrees or so.... what good is that when the average tempurture in vegas in the summer is 104. I read that the higher the tempurture the rating of the unit goes way down. I do plan on living in the house a long time since the vegas market is now expensive with our income and can't upgrade like before.

I also asked about how universal there parts are if the company ever went out of business. He said it wouldn't be a problem to get other parts to fit a Freus unit. Will ask another company about that though. Still more homework to do. Have 3 companys coming out next week for estimates and more to come. Thank goodness I have the time for all this since my unit is "still" working. Our power company is offering rebates till the end of this month and it ranges from 150 dollars for a SEER 13 up to 1000 dollars for something like a 19 seer with a 14 EER rating. Thanks for all the posts so far. Interesting read

Old 06-25-06, 11:16 AM
Cool

Might check Trane they have units that go to a SEER 19.5 the XL19i

ED

Old 06-25-06, 11:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Water cooled condenser

I discourage the use of any type of "once thru" water cooled condenser. Nearly all in my area have been removed as well & future installations have been outlawed. The only type of water cooled condensing units now allowed are those using a closed loop.

Old 06-26-06, 05:55 PM
jrlvnv
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Grady
I discourage the use of any type of "once thru" water cooled condenser. Nearly all in my area have been removed as well & future installations have been outlawed. The only type of water cooled condensing units now allowed are those using a closed loop.
Can you explain what a "closed loop" is? Also how come the other water cooled condensers have been outlawed?

Old 06-26-06, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Closed loop

Closed loop systems use either a horizontal or verticle loop of tubing burried in the ground. Verticle loops, the most common type here, are tube bundles inserted into a well or series of wells where they use the ground water or ground as a heat exchanger. Horizontal loops are placed in trenches & require a lot of digging & space. The water then transfers it's heat to or absorbs heat from the refrigerant via a heat exchanger.

Once thru systems have been outlawed around here because of the potential for ground water pollution & the terrible amount of water they waste.

Old 11-02-06, 10:17 AM
Smile Freus Ac

I Am Trying To Find Someone Happy With Freus Equipment. They Seem To Have The Most Energy Efficient Equip Out There And That Is What I Need. I Did Try And Contact The Company But It Is Apparently Very Small And Not Set Up Well. Very Difficult To Contact Anyone. But Still I Am Looking For Some Savings On The Electric Bill.......the Figures On The Freus Are Just Amaxzing If They Can Be Beleived. Nothing Else Comes Close. Any Help Would Be Just Great.

Old 11-02-06, 10:21 AM
Ed I Checked Out This Unit, Very Pricey To Set Up. You Have To Replace Everhting.

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Might check Trane they have units that go to a SEER 19.5 the XL19i

ED
CHECKED OUT THE TRANES STUFF, VERY PRICEY, YOU HAVE TO REPLACE ALL OF THE EQUIP WITH THE 2 STAGE AND VARIABLE FURNACE TO GET THE SAVINGS..... FREUS SUPPOSEDLY YOU CAN JUST REPLACE THE UNIT OUTSIDE AND GET SOME PRETTY BIG SAVINGS. ITS JUST THAT NOBODY ELSE SEEMS TO KNOW ABOUT IT!!!

Old 11-02-06, 10:24 AM
Freus

Originally Posted by jrlvnv
I was asking around work today and ran into somebody that bought a freus a month ago. He has over 3k sq ft in his house with a pool and about 6 TV's running all the time. Said with his old unit that he couldn't even see the electrice meter spin it was spinning so fast with his AC running. Now with the Freus system it takes about 6 seconds to make a complete circle and mine takes about 5 seconds now and I have a lot less house then he does... About 1/2 the size to be exact.

I called about the service plan and they do service it free for 3 years and after that they charge 150 a year to come out and winterize it. Half of me wants it since it is a 20 seer with a very high EER rating and in Vegas a EER rating seems to fit a lot better then the SEER. From my understanding of a SEER rating is that its based off of a outside tempurture of 80 degrees or so.... what good is that when the average tempurture in vegas in the summer is 104. I read that the higher the tempurture the rating of the unit goes way down. I do plan on living in the house a long time since the vegas market is now expensive with our income and can't upgrade like before.

I also asked about how universal there parts are if the company ever went out of business. He said it wouldn't be a problem to get other parts to fit a Freus unit. Will ask another company about that though. Still more homework to do. Have 3 companys coming out next week for estimates and more to come. Thank goodness I have the time for all this since my unit is "still" working. Our power company is offering rebates till the end of this month and it ranges from 150 dollars for a SEER 13 up to 1000 dollars for something like a 19 seer with a 14 EER rating. Thanks for all the posts so far. Interesting read

I AM THINKING ABOUT GETTING THIS UNIT , A 3 TON ONE . THE SAVINGS ON ELECTRICITY SEEMS TO BE REALLY SOMETHING. THE COMPANY IS VERY HARD TO FIND AND SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET AHOLD OF ANYONE WHICH IS OF SOME CONCERN. HAVE YOU GOTTEN ANY FEEDBACK LATELY?

Old 11-02-06, 10:26 AM
Freus

Originally Posted by buzmeg
Has anyone had any experience with Freus? They have a water cooled condenser unit that has been recommended to me as a viable replacement for my 12 year old unit that is on it's way out.
I AM ALSO TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT THIS EQUIPMENT. THE ENERGY BILL SAVINGS APPEAR TO BE FANTASTIC. BUT THE CO. SEEMS TO BE VERY SMALL AND NO ONE TO TALK TO.
I NEED A 3 TON UNIT. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT.

Old 11-02-06, 10:29 AM
Hey farmerdave Welcome to the DIY forums

Can you take your caps lock off? Looks like you're yelling.

Old 11-02-06, 11:43 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I have no experience in residential A/C but I do have a fair amount of engineering and operational experience with commercial and industrial sized A/C equipment.

What Grady described as a "closed loop" system I would classify as a ground source heat pump. It could be either a two-way (heating and cooling) unit or a dedicated heating OR cooling unit.

In my area of expertise a closed loop simply means an indirect means of heat transfer. Most large A/C compressors use water-cooled condensers, i.e. the hot gaseous refrigerant is cooled and condensed to liquid refrigerant by transfering the heat to water rather than directly to the air as is done with smaller (residential) units.

Sometimes the water for these condensers is used once and then discharged to waste but as Grady pointed out this is extremely wasteful and is being prohibited in many areas. The most common method of re-using the cooling water is by means of an "open" cooling tower where the water is constantly recirculated, passing as a fine spray through an air stream. In this arrangement a small amount of the recirculating water is evaporated (which takes heat from the rest of the water) and thereby requires this evaporated water to be "made up" by the addition of more water.

The addition of more water to the open tower causes any minerals and "junk" (a technical term) to concentrate in the recirculating water and this "junk" will solidify within the passages of the refrigerant/water heat exchanger (condenser) causing less efficient condensing of the refrigerant along with other problems. For this reason cooling towers need to have chemicals added under tightly controlled conditions to reduce this build up of junk.

A refinement of the open tower is a "closed loop fluid cooler" which is essentially an open tower but with coils placed in the stream of the water spray/air flow so that the fluid within this coil does not intermix with the water of the open tower. The contained fluid is used to transfer the heat from the fluid-cooled condenser to the cooling tower and to the atmosphere. When the refrigerant is directly condensed within the tubes of the "closed loop fluid cooler" without a separate refrigerant condenser we call the unit an "evaporative condenser". Note that the problems of the "open tower" still apply to the recirculating water of the tower itself, it simply eliminates the concentration of "junk" in the refrigerant condenser.

I am not familiar with the Freus equipment, it appears to be simply a once-through water cooled condensing unit as opposed to the more common air cooled condenser. Certainly it would have the effect of increasing the efficiency of the compressor unit but the savings would likely be lost in the cost of water (and most likely also sewerage charges) in a residential installation. Any "junk" in the water supplied to the unit WILL have a tendency to clog the passages and would require higher maintenance than an air cooled unit. Plus, in my opinion, it is environmentally wasteful.

Old 11-02-06, 01:29 PM
Thumbs down

After all the above a person would have to be nuts . Too try and put in a water cooled AC unit. The cost to keep them clean is very high. If you have the $$$$ then go for a good Geo DX set up in the ground for a heatpump. They say a saveing of 40%-70% on utility cost.

If you still want a water cooled unit get any one made for a boat they all work that way. I have put lots of them in. But it is the same there as on land you have to clean the coils out all the time to make them work.

ED ;_

Old 11-06-06, 10:43 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Hey farmerdave Welcome to the DIY forums

Can you take your caps lock off? Looks like you're yelling.
gulp, you bet.........now i know how to yell when i need to!!!

Old 11-06-06, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
farmerdave,

I looked at the freus site and what they have looks to me like an airconditioner that in commercial terms has a cooling tower to cool the refrigerant gas.
How this works is there is a condenser coil inside the outdoor unit cabinet. Rather than have just air flow over the coil they have a water pan and circulating pump where they spray water across the refrigerant condenser coil.
This unit is a bit more efficient than a straight through water cooled condenser but you will still consume a great deal of water.
If you are on city water any savings will be more than eaten up by a hefty water bill.
They have a very impresive chart that shows the unit's overall efficiency but say nothing about water and maintenance costs.

Old 11-13-06, 06:57 PM
Smile freus system

i tnink you pegged it quite right. the system is the same as others but it has the water cooling application. it does not seem to use a lot of water, but you are right, it could be high.
it is amazing that you can possible get such savings by that simple thing. at least 50%, thats a lot of savings if you can do the maintenance yourself, and if the water usuage doesnt come out to high.....then it could allow you to turn on the system more often without one of those 600 electic bills.

Old 11-14-06, 05:22 PM
Wink

You said about the power company rebates. if you get a unit with a SEER over 15 you can get a tax credit from the IRS for $300. and with a V/S blower another $50.
Just dont mess with a water cooled unit

Old 04-19-07, 10:00 AM
Freus owner since 2005

First the disclaimers: Am not involved and have never been involved in this trade - but own a complete set of refrigeration tools and have been maintaining our systems for 20+ years. Am also conversant with refrigeration engineering books circa 1920-1930. Have no financial interest in Freus currently.

Our 3tonX2 Freus condenser replaced 2ea 4ton 12SEER units in our new Energy star home in the spring of 2005. The old condensers were Ebayed for a salvage value of ~$800.

DFW is a tough cooling environment (high heat & humidity) and the OEM AC units which came with the house were vastly oversized. The Freus 3ton units actually contain 2.5ton compressors (I don't doubt their spec - just telling you what they use) so essentially we went from a 8 ton electrical draw to a 5 ton draw.

By my estimation this condenser change cut our space cooling bills in half. Possibly a lucky sizing within the unit's "sweet spot"?

In the spring of 2006 - our Freus (old design) developed a leak in the coil. Freus replaced the unit *instantly* (shipping their new design valued at $4000+ without any request for deposit). Phone support was competent.

The coil failure was unnerving and irritating...but I believe their scruples have proven beyond reproach. Since Texas power rates have spiked - the Freus will still probably prove to be a good investment...despite my reliability concerns.

This is not a unit for the faint of heart. There are many risks for AC pioneers. I would also suggest that going from a "Chevy" air condenser to a Freus "Lamborghini" would make no sense if the government had insisted upon a 70% nuclear power generating capacity decades ago.

But if you're stuck with the mistakes of the past, and with little hope for rapid improvement - the Freus is probably *the* best ticket in town. Likely even better than the more reliable (?) ground source heat pumps. There is almost zero chance you could significantly reduce cooling bills with other technologies. Those 19SEER claims by air cooled condensers manufacturers are just marketing bull**** for Dallas. Ditto more insulation/radiant barriers (been there- done that). Wanna be cool? Yer gonna pay.....

We would love to go back to a generic, mass produced, air cooled condenser + $0.04/kwhr power - and then just burn whatever it takes

Old 04-21-07, 08:11 PM
Freus

I also checked out their website and found that the Freus unit is nothing more than an evaporative condensor. The technology has been in use since at least the 1940's, so this is not a new technique. At one time, just about all air conditioning had some type of water cooled condensing scheme. Air cooled condensors started going mainstream in the mid to late 1950's. So, if water cooled systems are so much more efficient, why did they fall out of favor? Installed cost, cost of water and sewerage bills, municipal ordinances banning once thru water cooled units and maintenance. An evaporative condensor works by spraying the cooling water onto the hot condensing coil. The amount of heat required to evaporate the water from the condensing coil is where the savings come from. This is because the unit runs at a lower condensing temp/pressure which translates to fewer watts consumed to produce the same amount of refrigeration effect versus an air cooled unit. However, there are no free lunches. The downside is water consumption and maintenance costs. When the water evaporates, any impurities [read minerals and scale] are left behind to coat the condensing surfaces. Freus makes a claim that there is "probably enough chlorine in municipal water supplies to ward off slime, algae, etc. buildup in the unit". I'm sorry, but that claim is not borne out by real world experience. You haven't lived until you've had to desacle/deslime an evaporative condensor unit [or a cooling tower for that matter]. I agree with Ed, no way would I put one of these units in a residential application.

Old 04-27-07, 11:54 AM
Yes.....this is old,old,old, technology and the simpler, more robust air condensers won out when real (inflation adjusted) power costs declined. Why put up with that nonsense given the minute savings?

But thanks to mismanagement, real power costs are now back to earlier levels....so adopting earlier, stingier designs may again be appropriate. This is the type of technology you adopt when leadership fails you.

It will be 20 years before uranium and thorium reactor buildouts begin to finally cut into our national electric rates. What a nightmare. Until then you'll put up with these overcomplicated conservation schemes. You'l have no other choice.

Within 2 years the rest of the country will suffer Texas electric rates. Enjoy

Old 04-29-07, 03:56 PM
Oh my!

Geothermal is the way to go. Most energy savings you can get.

Go here: http://www.fhp-mfg.com/

Also check out water furnace.

And to give a major leg up email Ed here:xxxxxxxxx

Tell him Chris sent you. Ed is a Florida Heat Pump rep in NC and knows Geothermal inside and out forward and backwards.

Ed Imeduc if you don't have suction leaks in the piping you have no corrosion in the heat exchanger.

I have a 3.5 ton unit here in central VA I'm almost ready to install.

The EPA regulates your return wells if the local officials don't know what you want to do in regaurd to open well.

Chris

Last edited by GregH; 06-14-07 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Remove email address.
Old 06-14-07, 12:01 AM
Freus Failure

I have some information, and questions. Maybe somebody out there can shed some light.

I have two brand new Freus units (3T and 4T), for a 3,300 sf new house in hot Northern California, and both units are DOA. The installer is coming out for the second callback on this issue, and while we wait my wife and two young kids are being cooked at 90 to 100 degrees plus. Now that the allure of high utility rebates and promises of high efficiencies have been displaced by the realities of my bleak living situation, I am now taking the hard look I should have taken when making the choice of cooling unit (a choice I made without adequate research during construction).

Some things I heard before:

1. Once the attic units were installed, I was "committed" to Freus. (There was a delay in receiving the condensers, and I inquired about substituting a conventional unit, and was told that it was not possible. This delay cost me several thousand dollars in loan penalties, salt on the wound.)

I have recently heard:

1. In general there are problems with condenser coils leaking
2. The installer no longer carries Freus

And I have read:

1. That there's maintenance, which I will either pay for, or have to do myself. So cut in to the theoretical few hundred dollar a year savings with a few hundred dollar a year maintenance bill, or spend time dorking around with the equipment as opposed to being out on the lake. Pretty absurd.

My Questions:

1. Does anyone have any experiences which could help me?
2. I am thinking of pushing to swap out the condensers with something conventional. I spent an awful lot of money for systems which were supposed to be very high performing in all aspects, but what I really want is good cooling. Is there any reason the condensers can't be changed out and the rest left intact?

I will post updates when diagnostics are available.

Caveat Emptor I believe is the applicable phrase......

Old 06-14-07, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
From what I could see on their website the outdoor units are nothing special when you are familiar with commercial systems.

If your Freus system has outdoor cooling tower condensing units connected to evaperator coils in an air handler there is no reason whatsoever that these units can't be swapped out.

The main reason for your contractor not want to is that they may not be able to get a refund for them.
You did make a decision to purchase this system and may pay a heavy penalty to back out of the deal.

As you said buyer beware.
Your contractor is really not responsible handing in your homework late.

If you can, take a picture of the unit as it is installed now and post in on a site like Photo bucket and we'll take a look.

Old 06-14-07, 12:00 PM
Wink

Out of the box here. But 7 ton for 3300sq ft thats sounds like a lot to me but dont know the load there . Here we would have like 6 ton for say 4500sq ft. With temps that get over 98o lots of times.
Im with GregH You have to look at the comm. units that use water. Here over the years we have taken any and all water cooled units out. Just the cost to keep them clean is so high. Had one that was on soft water. That cost more to clean out that the ones on hard water where it was just the lime and calcium. Then you have the pump cost$$$$.
Id say look into GeoThermal and GeoThermalDX. Here you can have a sealed system in the ground with water or freon. To give your compressor heat or cool.

Old 07-31-07, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post

"I am not familiar with the Freus equipment, it appears to be simply a once-through water cooled condensing unit as opposed to the more common air cooled condenser. Certainly it would have the effect of increasing the efficiency of the compressor unit but the savings would likely be lost in the cost of water (and most likely also sewerage charges) in a residential installation. Any "junk" in the water supplied to the unit WILL have a tendency to clog the passages and would require higher maintenance than an air cooled unit. Plus, in my opinion, it is environmentally wasteful."
REPLY: Most electricity is generated by burning coal or natural gas to heat water into steam, then using the steam to generate electricity. The amount of water used by a typical 4 or 5 ton Freus unit is less than half of what it would take to generate the electricity it saves over a conventional air-cooled A/C. Also, generating electriciity creates pollution, so Freus reduces the pollution that would be generated during electricity production, since it uses less electricity to operate. My friend's Freus unit (3 ton) only draws 9 amps.

Last edited by dwells05; 07-31-07 at 09:45 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-31-07, 09:52 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by DougMcH View Post
I have some information, and questions. Maybe somebody out there can shed some light.

I have two brand new Freus units (3T and 4T), for a 3,300 sf new house in hot Northern California, and both units are DOA. The installer is coming out for the second callback on this issue, and while we wait my wife and two young kids are being cooked at 90 to 100 degrees plus. Now that the allure of high utility rebates and promises of high efficiencies have been displaced by the realities of my bleak living situation, I am now taking the hard look I should have taken when making the choice of cooling unit (a choice I made without adequate research during construction).

Some things I heard before:

1. Once the attic units were installed, I was "committed" to Freus. (There was a delay in receiving the condensers, and I inquired about substituting a conventional unit, and was told that it was not possible. This delay cost me several thousand dollars in loan penalties, salt on the wound.)

I have recently heard:

1. In general there are problems with condenser coils leaking
2. The installer no longer carries Freus

And I have read:

1. That there's maintenance, which I will either pay for, or have to do myself. So cut in to the theoretical few hundred dollar a year savings with a few hundred dollar a year maintenance bill, or spend time dorking around with the equipment as opposed to being out on the lake. Pretty absurd.

My Questions:

1. Does anyone have any experiences which could help me?
2. I am thinking of pushing to swap out the condensers with something conventional. I spent an awful lot of money for systems which were supposed to be very high performing in all aspects, but what I really want is good cooling. Is there any reason the condensers can't be changed out and the rest left intact?

I will post updates when diagnostics are available.

Caveat Emptor I believe is the applicable phrase......
Doug,
The Freus units sold after July 1 should include a free 2-year maintenance agreement. If your installer didn't include it, he should have. These are high maintenance systems, and should be cleaned at least twice a year, more if your water is hard. The new units (2007) include a Calgon water softener pack and an anode to catch mineral deposits. Look into this before you scrap the whole deal.

Old 08-01-07, 10:54 AM
Wink

There are many kind of water cooled condensers that you can use.Some of them the ends come off so that you can clean out the water lines in it . They are called cleanable shell. You are better to get one bigger than you need. Then put a temp control on the water so it will keep the compressor head where it should be.

Old 08-01-07, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
dwells05,

First, the comment about "saving half the power it takes to..........." is more than likely from Freus' literature.
The overly complicated assertions are too complicated to properly know what they are really saying.

As far as replacing the outdoor units I do not see why you couldn't replace them with a conventional condensing unit.
What you couldn't do is replace it with a high seer unit and expect the Freus coil to achieve advertised seer efficiency of the condensing unit.

Old 08-11-07, 02:52 PM
Freus A/C Unit has worked great for years

I installed a Freus 3 ton unit about six years ago in my Los Angeles home with permit. At the end of the cooling season I simply drain the water filled sump, shut off the water supply and pull the fuse to keep the unit from starting. At the beginning of the cooling season, I flush the sump out with water, turn the water and power on.

Freus make a lot of claims about efficiency and I concluded that they are all true. The efficiency of the unit is amazing. The outdoor unit has instructions that must be following. For example, both copper lines are taped together and wrapped with insulation. Thus the high side is cooled before it gets to the TXV improving efficiency. The instructions provide a sheet for the installer to fill out and verify proper installatiion.

I installed the unit my self but I have a lot of training on setting up split AC systems. This is not for anyone who does not understand "subcooling" and "super heat". I met the Freus employees at the IHACI trade show in Pasadena.

The unit has a timer that will flush the sump after runnning eight hours. I use the water on the landscaping.

Old 12-22-08, 10:22 AM
I Am Trying To Find Someone Happy With Freus Equipment.
We replaced our conventional A/C with a four-ton Freus unit three years ago. We went to a presentation sponsored by the company who has since bought the manufacturing rights (and the company who installed our unit), Omega Air of Las Vegas. One thing that impressed us immediately is that a representative of the local power company, Nevada Power, was present at the meeting and verified the claims of energy efficiency. At the time NP was offering a $1,000 rebate on the Freus (the top rebate on anything else was $300). We figured that if the power company - who has no interest in the sales of one unit over another, other than to reduce the need to build new power plants - was on board, maybe we should be, too. As luck would have it our old unit crashed about a month later and we replaced the old unit with the Freus.

Our electric bills are about half what our neighbors are paying during the summer. Since the temperatures can approach 120 here during the summer, we can vouch for the unit's ability to handle extreme temperatures. We actually had to increase the setting on the thermostat because the unit had the house too cold (when it was 115 outside). When the unit was installed one of the installers clipped an ampmeter on our next door neighbor's unit when it came on to show us the difference in power consumption. The neighbor's unit was pulling 32 amps. Our Freus was pulling 11.

Much has been made about the water problem. We haven't found that it has done much to my water bill, and a capful of CLR about once a month takes care of mineral deposits (this was recommended by the Freus techs). We did have a water pump go out about a year ago, and Omega Air replaced it under warranty. They said that they had some problems getting parts before, but now that they have bought Freus those problems are history.

Last edited by orca17; 12-22-08 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-01-09, 12:26 PM
I have them in my new custom home and have had nothing but trouble with them. The new company who bought Freus refused to honor the warranty on faulty parts. Any energy savings has beens spent in repairs and maintainence. I am thinking about replacing them as I am really frustrated!!

Old 05-08-09, 11:43 PM
I had my 5 ton freus installed 6 years ago here in Vegas along with solar screens. It cut
my power bill in half. The drawbacks are the maint. and repair costs. I do my own so
I save money. The people who install and repair did not tell me what to do. I treated
mine as I would an evap. cooler. In Vegas we have hard water so I add white vinegar
to the water. Make sure both pumps and both anodes are in good shape. I drain the
unit in the fall and then in the spring I brush and vacuum the unit, top and bottom,
before filling with wtr. and adding the vinegar.

Old 06-12-12, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To All Who may inquire or have inquired,

In 2008 the company that manufactures the Freus unit went into bankruptcy. We were named as a creditor (owned no stock) and lost more than $500,000. The assets were sold to another company which defaulted on its payments to the Bankruptcy Court. During the summer of 2010 we bought the Freus name and all of its assets. Since then we have done the best we can to service and reach all customers to let them know we have parts and technical assistance. We are RR&P, LLC based out of the El Paso, TX area.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-12-12 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Remove all contact and advertising info.
Old 06-12-12, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I've removed all contact info as I've seen this same post on many different sites. It is against our rules here.

If anyone needs the info in the post...you should be able to find it at many sites. PM me if you want to try to contact this company.

Closed Thread