Mismatched air handler/condensing unit

Old 06-13-06, 06:36 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mismatched air handler/condensing unit

Help Anyone. I have little knowledge of air systems and need some advice please. Have a beach condo in Florida about 1,350 sq. ft. and all glass walls facing east. Can get very warm in summer. About a year ago a new 2 1/2 ton air handler was installed, but no condensing unit required at the time. No one seems to know why the 2 1/2 ton air handler was installed!!! but it was. Condensing unit was 3 1/2 ton. Now condensing unit gone bad. Can the mismatch have caused the condensing unit to go bad.? Now a 2 1/2 ton condensing unit has been installed in order to match the air handler and I am concerned about whether it is adequate to do the job. I do not live in this condo and live in a different state so I am at the mercy of various installers. The original equipment in the condo was a 3 ton and did not do the job so decided to install the 3 1/2 condenser 6-7 years ago. Also, I question whether a 2 1/2 ton will do the job. Installer has said if it doesn't work it will be changed out. Ha.

Not sure what to do?? Thanks much for a professional opinion.

Wetman

Old 06-13-06, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Welcome to our forums Wetman!

It is very difficult to offer an assesment on what to do without knowing your actual heat gain.
Based on your previous need to increase capacity from 3 to 3 1/2 ton I would have to say the set up you have now will not work that well.

What you really need to do is have a qualified contractor do a heat load calculation and not guess.

Old 06-13-06, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

Im with GregH just where or how can you have duct work to handle 3 1/2 ton of AC in a 1350 sq ft unit.? I was is West Palm Beach and 3 ton handels a 1900 sq ft unit there. That east glass wall is not bad . Its the west there you have to look out for. You could tint the glass it would help like in the morning some. Sorry to say most of the AC guys there DONT KNOW A D** thing. Id get 2 more bid on this job

ED

Old 06-14-06, 05:15 AM
C
[QUOTE=Ed Imeduc] I was is West Palm Beach and 3 ton handels a 1900 sq ft unit there. [QUOTE]
Well that would depend on many factors such as windows, insulation, raised or slab, type of walls.

It sounds like you need a heat load run. Without it you are just guessing.

Old 06-23-06, 08:31 AM
W
mismatched air handler/condensing unit

Thanks for the help folks. I will check into the heat load caculation. Would still apprectiate an opinion of the mismatching of a 2 1/2 ton air handler with 3 1/2 ton condenser?

Thanks
Wetman

Old 06-23-06, 05:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
MIsmatch

It is possible, but you should have noticed the air handler freezing up frequently.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: