AC has no freon

Old 06-15-06, 08:59 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC has no freon

This is my 1st posting. I just bought a 4 year old house 10 weeks ago and the AC unit has gone out. The AC unit is Lennox model 10ACC060 ton / R22 refrigerant. The house was inspected prior to purchase and the AC was working. I came home a few days ago and part of the house was hot 86 degrees (kitchen & family room), but the thermostat was set at 78 degrees, so I contacted the warranty folks. An AC tech came out the next day. I was told that there is a severe leak at the lineset just before the service port on the suction line 4 inches from the service port/valve and the AC has no freon. He said the leak will cost around a grand to repair (lineset repair pump + over $300 just for the freon). The tech also said the compressor is burned out and will not start so I need a new one (13 SEER to be up to current code) which is very expensive. He said neither the leak repair or new compressor is covered because of a maintenance problem with shrubs being around the AC. He said this happens a lot. AC's cannot be visible from the street in our subdivision so shrubs are around the AC's in our neighborhood. This is true for most neighborhoods where I live. My shrub is approx. 10-12 inches away from the AC. He also said someone should have known about the leak prior to my home purchase, that it didn't just happen in such a short timeframe since it takes a while for an AC to run out of freon. The tech also said maybe the AC was charged with freon to keep it running before I purchased the home. Can this be determined just by looking at the leak? The compressor has a 5 year warranty on it. For now, the tech said to turn off the AC and only run the fan. Something is not right about this situation. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd opinion. Any comments / suggestions?
Thanks.

Last edited by Bigalan; 06-15-06 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-06, 04:13 AM
For sure get the 2nd opinion. Most contractors that do warranty work will do or say anything to make it a non-warranty repair.

You could call your warranty company and request a different contractor but you will pay another deductable.

Your bushes and shrubs should be at least 2' from the unit for proper air flow and service.

Old 06-16-06, 04:36 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
DIDO to Mattison

Old 06-16-06, 06:00 AM
J
Agree with everyone else.... Get another opinion.

1.) I am confused as to how a bush can cause a lineset leak, especially if it is not in direct contact.

2.) 300 just for freon seems high.

Good luck.

Old 06-16-06, 12:08 PM
C
Also noticed you stated the house is 4 years old and compressor has 5 year warranty. So 13 SEER doesn't apply and the compressor should be free, plus labor and diers etc.

I'd definitely go for the second opinion.

Old 06-16-06, 01:44 PM
Wink

I just bought a 4 year old house 10 weeks ago and the AC unit has gone out
[QUOTEThe tech also said the compressor is burned out and will not start so I need a new one ][/QUOTE

Like said : That compressor as you said should still be under warranty.

My shrub is approx. 10-12 inches away from the AC.
' Most units call for 18" out from unit"

ED

Old 06-16-06, 03:21 PM
B
I got the 2nd opinion today. Good news!!! This tech said the leak and compressor will be covered under the warranty less my deductibles. For $1100 the leak was repaired + freon, the compressor replaced, hard start kit installed, and a contactor. He checked the other 2 AC's (tuneups) and said they were not charging correctly and needed freon as well, so the total included these repairs too. He found other problems such as problems with the drain lines - water in a drain pan, clogged drain, etc. I got these fixed for an additional price of course, but at a discounted price. I put all 3 AC's on their service plan for twice yearly tuneups and he said this service call won't count against the service plan. He also said the seller neglected AC maintenance and should have taken care of these repairs. The AC's were working, but none of the AC's were in proper working condition! He suggested I contact the sellers for reimbursement because none of these problems just appeared within the 10 weeks I've owned the house. I will give this a try.

Old 06-16-06, 03:53 PM
C
Good deal. Sounds like you found a fair, conscientious repairman. Yes, they do exist