Trane: Residential vs Builder

Old 06-20-06, 11:43 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane: Residential vs Builder

I am in the process of getting bids for my replacement A/C unit. I am leaning towards Trane with a full replace of coil, lineset and condensor. One of my 2 quotes was for an XB13 that comes with a 5 year warranty and a 78db sound rating. The next Trane dealer said the XB13 was for builders and was an inferior product to the XR13 which has a 10 year warranty and a 76db sound rating. I quote warranty & sound ratings because this is the only difference between the 2 that I could find on the Trane website. My question/s: Is there a big difference between the XB13 & XR13? And, should I trust a contractor who is pushing an XB13 on me? Thanks!

http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...116&p2=115&p3=

Old 06-20-06, 07:03 PM
Those are the only diffrent things about the two unit.

I personly don't like the looks of the XB model. I have XR model in my home. It blends in nice in my landscaping.

Have you asked the first dealer if he can get you the XR line?

Old 06-21-06, 12:16 PM
S
xb vs xr

The large company, located in Farmington, MN, says they don't carry the XR13. Instead they tried to sell me an XR14. What system do you have, and are you happy with Trane?

Old 06-21-06, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

For the best dollar in the long run go for a Trane XL15i with a new coil for sure. The lines might be ok???? . You will get a better pay back in the Seer also the 10 year warranties. The going over a 15 seer you can get a IRS tax credit of $300. Any XR13 or XB13 is the bottom of any line that any company can make any more. Might look at the XL14i but dont go any lower on the seer, with what power cost now.

ED

Old 06-21-06, 04:48 PM
Sir,

I have the XR11, they are no longer made. I am sure the XR13 are still made. but I could be wrong. I am not a dealer myself.

I been very happy with Trane. Mine will be 2 years old now, and works great. Only thing I don't like about it is the loud fan. It's a smaller sized fan, and it moves alot of air. So when we are sitting on the deck, it's some what loud. XLi are MUCH quieter.. My parents got one.

Are you plan on changing out the whole system? Furnace as well?

I would of gotten the XL13i at the time. but the dealer threw in the XR11 in for $200 since I was getting a new XV90 furnace and that was the last of that model. I couldn't turn it down.

As Ed said you will come ahead in the long run with theh XLi line.

Check withlXcel I looked and looks like the rebates ended last week. But give them a call (If you are a customer with them) and see if a new one is out.

Ed,

Our summers in Minnesota is not long enough to be worth the 15 SEERS or higher. I have only ran ours 5 days so far.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-22-06, 09:33 AM
S
Minnesota SEER

I am getting a whole new setup. XV80 with the variable speed. New condensor and coil. I am leaning toward the XR13 over the XB13 primarily because of warranty and to a lesser degree noise. Paying more for a higher SEER is just not cost effective here the Twin Cities, MN. If I could buy a quality 10 SEER I would but they are hard to find. We use Dakota Electric that has an off-peak program the cycles the electricity to the A/C during peak periods. 15 minutes on/off or something like that. My cost is about 4 cents kWH so it is VERY hard to do cost justify getting the more expensive higher SEER units.
I am replacing a 30 year old Lennox A/C that just quit and a 35 year Lennox furnace that works fine.

Old 06-22-06, 10:20 AM
Have you thought about the XV90? I would go that route if you want something quiet. (If family room is near the furnace.

What kind of credit is Dakota giving you on the saver switch?

Lot of service tech hate them cuz they are HARD on the compressor cycling them on and off often. I got rid of mine last year. our power company only gave me $3 credit a month, and it was NOT worth that. System can/may fall behind.

Getting two stage T-stat?

Also, I strongly suggest getting the Trane's 10 year parts AND labor warranity. I got it, and I know I will have a peace of mind for the next year year if anything goes wrong.

Old 06-22-06, 10:29 AM
Wink

Can you get that kind of KWH cost in winter like here. If so go heatpump. Thats about all we sell anymore around here in Missouri.

ED

Old 06-22-06, 10:48 AM
S
I thought about the XV90 but I have some venting issues that would make the installation more expensive.
Dakota county makes you pay to have one of their electricians install another meter and a control box. At one time it was around $75 but that was years ago. After that you get billed from the 'cycled' at about 4 cents per kWH and the other meter reads the rest at the regular rate. It is a pretty good deal. On the downside the only rebate they offer is $200 for the purchase of an Energy star A/C.
Good idea about the labor warranty, I will price it. I will also look into the heat pump. thanks.

Old 06-22-06, 12:16 PM
Wink

Go http://www.warmair.net to compare fuel cost for there.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: