A/C won't cool

Old 06-20-06, 08:08 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C won't cool

Have a Carrier Heat Pump. After 1 hour local power outage today, a/c came back on but just blowing room temp air. Thermostat is set on 70 but after running for several hours, it is still 80 degrees inside at 11:00 pm (in Georgia). At the unit, the fan is running and the compressor cycles on. A friend told me to check the two copper tubes coming off of the compressor - that one should be hot, the other cold. Both are hot and top of compressor is also. Don't know a thing about this stuff. Any ideas?

Old 06-20-06, 08:56 PM
N
in some rare cases a sudden power outage/surge can cause a scroll compressor to actually run backwards, ive seen it. in which case it will run and overheat and could cause serious damage. i would leave it off for a bit and cool down the compressor with a hose until it feels cool and then reset the breaker and see what happens. good luck

Old 06-21-06, 04:29 AM
K
Trying your suggesstion now. Hope it works. If not, is there any chance homeowners insurance will help with a replacement compressor? I have a pretty decent insurer.

Old 06-21-06, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Kang
Trying your suggesstion now. Hope it works. If not, is there any chance homeowners insurance will help with a replacement compressor? I have a pretty decent insurer.
Kang am interested in your findings. Would you please let us know the results of your effort?

Old 06-21-06, 06:37 PM
K
Originally Posted by ozmee
Kang am interested in your findings. Would you please let us know the results of your effort?
Had a repair guy check unit. Compressor is functioning correctly. Apparently when our power went out, the reversing valve locked up. We were able to tap it with a hammer and get it to release. A/C is now functioning but not at full capacity until I get the reversing valve replaced. Given a quote for $290 parts and labor to replace, including this service call. Could have been much worse. Think I found a fair and reasonable service guy. I'll be keeping his card.

Old 06-21-06, 07:38 PM
N
290 is a great deal for parts and labor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: