A/C on 2nd Floor runs continuously

Old 06-21-06, 01:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C on 2nd Floor runs continuously

There are two floors on my house, each has its own A/C unit. The unit on the bottom floor seems to run OK and cool off that floor. The unit on the second floor does not. It runs continuously without seeming to cool off that floor. The evaporator unit is in the attic and I recently installed fans to cool off the attic (in fact, it seems the attic is cooler than the second floor). The unit is ~9 years old. Any ideas what the problem could be? My initial thought is that one of the coils is leaking freon. Thanks.

Old 06-21-06, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Filters clean? Blower blowing air ok? All pipes ok and tight up in the attic??? No air leaks up there/ At outside unit is small copper pipe warm and big copper one cold and wet??

ED

Old 06-22-06, 06:42 AM
B
Ed,

Filter is new. Blower is blowing air OK. The small copper pipe outside is not warm, but the big pipe is cold. So cold in fact that ice has formed around it. Any ideas?

Old 06-22-06, 07:46 AM
R
Low on refrigerant

Just from reading other posts it sounds like you might be low on refrigerant. Tech can fix the leak and recharge the system.

Old 06-22-06, 10:44 AM
The cause of freeze-up is either a lack of airflow due to dirty filter,coil, bad indoor blower, or a too restrictive filter "high merv".

Or low refrigerant due to a leak.

If your suction line is frosting over at the outdoor unit then I will bet you coil is a block of ice. Don't let it run like this if so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: