Condensation on inside ducts

Old 06-22-06, 06:10 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Condensation on inside ducts

Hello,

When I run my AC, the ducts surrounding the blower drip with condensation. It appears to be on the outbound ducts, and not on the return duct.

There is a round hole in one of the ducts with writing next to it that says "Close damper in summer", but there is no handle or anything to close a damper with and the hole has been taped over with foil duct tape.

Do I need to install a new damper and close it to stop the condensation, or is there some other problem?

The ducts drip A LOT, especially on hot humid days.

Thanks,
Tom

PS...I saw one semi-related thread, where the advice was to check the condensor drain pipe for a clog. I checked my outside pipe and there is still water coming from it, so I don't think it's clogged.

Old 06-22-06, 06:25 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Is the duct insulated! Is the duct in a basement/crawl Do you have a dehumidifier. Do you have a humidifier?

Old 06-22-06, 06:32 PM
T
Answers

No, the ducts are not insulated. My house is a bi-level, so the ducts and furnace / blower are in a full-size utility space on the lower level. The AC unit is outside. I do have a whole house humidifier connected to the duct work, but I checked it and the media pad is not spinning (although the pan does have water in it). I do not have a dehumidifier.

We've been in the house 6 years and I do not remember having this problem before.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 06-22-06, 06:42 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Wrap the duct or buy a dehumidifier

Old 06-23-06, 08:01 PM
even though the drain may be letting some condensate out, the drian could be partially blocked, if water is allowed to build up deep in the coil drain pan it can be caught up by the force of the air and blown out into the ductwork making a mess as you described. I would investigate the condensate drian a bit closer. Not sure what you have on the ductwork damper sounds a bit unusual can you trace the ductwork back to see what is appears to be doing?.

Old 06-23-06, 08:32 PM
R
rpt
The damper might be from a humidifier that was once installed, then removed. Usually, these units are mounted on the discharge side, but then have a duct that runs back to the inlet side. In the summer, when they are not being used, you manually close the damper. If the humidifer were removed, there would be a hole in the ductwork. My guess is that it was removed and they just taped over the hole...no harm there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: