Repair person cause damage?

Old 06-22-06, 09:27 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair person cause damage?

We had an outdoor AC problem that acted like the capacitor. We had the buzzing but no fan spin up, and the fan spins freely.

Not knowing anything before reading this forum, we had a repair person come over. He initially thought it was the capacitor and asked if I wanted it replaced on the spot. I stepped inside to look for a coupon I had for them, and when I returned 5 minutes later, he said he tried replacing it and it did not fix the problelm. He then said I needed a new motor.

Could this guy have damaged the motor in these few minutes to make my problems worse?

Without replacing the capacitor, is there a way I can check if that's really the problem or if it really is the fan motor?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-06, 02:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In that short amount of time any damage that he could have done would likely be visible damage.

At this point, without specialized equipment to check the capacitor your only check is using an ohmmeter to chec and see if the motor is shorted, or the windings are open. Between each of the leads you should have some resistance. Never 0 ohms and never infinity (IIRC.)

Any reputable company will leave you the parts after replacement if you ask. If they question why just tell them they are of no use to them and you will dispose of them. And don't take any line that they must be disposed of properly. That throws up a major red flag. You can do that...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: