Amana 13 seer 3.5 ton question.

Old 06-23-06, 05:18 PM
jrlvnv
Visiting Guest
Amana 13 seer 3.5 ton question.

My wiring came undone on my outside unit and called the tech out.... connected it back and started doing some tests on the unit. He said I am 1 amp under capacity for this unit. I asked what that meant and he said its going to get 30 degrees hotter then it is now ( Las Vegas) and basically said that it should be running 2 or 3 less amps then it is now. Said unit will overheat and cut off very soon and recommended that I upgrade now. He quoted me for the amana 13 seer 3.5 tons a price of $2900 installed with taxes.
He also pulled some oil from the motor of the fan and said since he was able to do that the bearings are just about done which means this fan is almost done and replacing that is around 400 dollars. So so you guys know.. Unit is about 9 years old and was a seer of 10 but running at a seer of around 5 or 6 according to the TECH

So does that guy sound like he knows what he is talking about? Is 2900 bucks a good price for that unit or am I being taken to the cleaners. Thanks to all that respond

Forum Monitors Note:
Post moved and merged.
Originally posted in the electric appliance forum topic.

Last edited by Forum Monitor; 06-24-06 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-23-06, 05:57 PM
jrlvnv
Visiting Guest
Amana 13 seer 3.5 ton question.. Was this repairman knowledgeable??

I posted this in another thread before I found this thread... Sorry for the double post........

Forum Monitors Note:
Post moved and merged.
Originally posted in the electric appliance forum topic.

My wiring came undone on the fan of my outside unit and called the tech out.... connected it back and started doing some tests on the unit. He said I am 1 amp under capacity for this unit. I asked what that meant and he said its going to get 30 degrees hotter then it is now ( Las Vegas) and basically said that it should be running 2 or 3 less amps then it is now. Said unit will overheat and cut off very soon and recommended that I upgrade now. He quoted me for the amana 13 seer 3.5 tons a price of $2900 installed with taxes.
He also pulled some oil from the motor of the fan and said since he was able to do that the bearings are just about done which means this fan is almost done and replacing that is around 400 dollars. So so you guys know.. Unit is about 9 years old and was a seer of 10 but running at a seer of around 5 or 6 according to the TECH

So does that guy sound like he knows what he is talking about? Is 2900 bucks a good price for that unit or am I being taken to the cleaners. Thanks to all that respond.....

edit:.. Just got off the phone with a Trane dealer and said that 2900 was a good price but that just included the outside unit and not the furnace in my attic. They said it would be pointless in putting in a 13 seer unit replacing a 10 seer unit without doing the furnace since they wouldn't be taking out the guts of the unit. Since they wouldn't do that I wouldn't be getting the benefit of a 13 seer unit and it would make the unit run harder. Is this correct information??? Please guide me and thanks to all that respond

Last edited by Forum Monitor; 06-24-06 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-23-06, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
get three seperate but comparable quotes before making any major purchase such as a HVAC system. Your tech could be correct but he could also be way off base it might be worth a service fee to have someone else come out and check the unit. If two reputable AC repair firms say the unit is shot I would lean towards believing them, but if all that is wrong is a bad condensor fan motor I would simply replace it the average life span is around 15 years for the typical unit so you should have a few more good years in this one. If you buy a system make sure they change out both the outside and inside pcs so it will be matched and produce the excellent cooling and energy savings promised by the high SEER numbers.

Old 06-23-06, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

I have been in HVAC a long time and though I had heard it all. But that tech you got sure has a good new line going.
He said I am 1 amp under capacity. Said unit will overheat and cut off very soon and recommended that I upgrade now.was a seer of 10 but running at a seer of around 5 or 6 according to the TECH
There is know way he can tell what the seer of a unit is out in the field.
To just put a new 3.5 condenser on what you have now for $2900 is very very high Id say. Wish we could get that here. Cost of units is a lot in where you are.
He also pulled some oil from the motor of the fan and said since he was able to do that the bearings are just about done which means this fan is almost done
thats the best one yet.

Now What do you want to do "think". How long will you stay in this home. 9 years old it can run a long time. Las Vegas Hot out there So. Id go for a seer of 15 or better if I put in a new unit now.
If you will stay in the home for 10 years or more Id go all new. Call trane and see what you can get a new furnace, gas electric or heatpump . With the V/S blower on it and the XL15i high side. With this a seer of 15 you can get a $300 tax credit from the IRS. Ill bet what you have now is about a 10 seer.

Ed My .02 cents

Old 06-23-06, 08:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you may have accidentally posted this in the wrong forum, you'll have better responses in the HVAC forum.

Personally, I would get at least two other estimates if you're concerned about the tech's knowledge or reputation.

Good luck,
MM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: