Freon Hissing ?????

Old 06-23-06, 05:50 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Freon Hissing ?????

I just got a new air conditioner put in. A Goodman Model CKL24-1M.

After the installer left i noticed a hissing sound in many areas of the thin uninsulated copper tubing.

I quickly called back the installer and he checked the lines and found no leaks. He said that it was the Freon circlulating through the pipes making that sound and that, in some cases, it was normal. My last Air conditioner unit (which was 18 years old) never made that sound. This hissing sound is somewhat annoying.

Is there a problem or do i need to live with this hissing sound?

thanks

cptcrystal

Old 06-23-06, 07:16 PM
When does the hissing sound occur? after the unit shuts down? or is it audible while the unit is in operation?

Old 06-23-06, 08:27 PM
M
Originally Posted by cptcrystal
I just got a new air conditioner put in. A Goodman Model CKL24-1M.

After the installer left i noticed a hissing sound in many areas of the thin uninsulated copper tubing.

I quickly called back the installer and he checked the lines and found no leaks. He said that it was the Freon circlulating through the pipes making that sound and that, in some cases, it was normal. My last Air conditioner unit (which was 18 years old) never made that sound. This hissing sound is somewhat annoying.

Is there a problem or do i need to live with this hissing sound?

thanks

cptcrystal

Strange, my ac unit does the same thing after a tech recently added freon to my unit. It makes a hissing sound when running. Its not consistant either, it comes and goes as the unit is running, makes me wonder if the unit is overcharged.

I am interested in any response to this thread as well.

Thanks in advance to all,
MM

Old 06-23-06, 08:32 PM
C
The hissing occurs while the a/c is running. I hear it in about 3 different locations of the copper tubing..

cptcrystal

Old 06-23-06, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

Could both of you have a TXV valve on the indoor coil? Sometimes this valve can make a noise when it open's up to let freon in the coil there??????

ED

Old 06-23-06, 09:19 PM
C
sorry, i don't know anything about that. Just that it makes a hissing sound in about three areas of the thin copper tubing. the first sound is about 2 feet from the coil. the second sound is about 5 feet from the coil and the third sound is about fifteen feet from the coil. in all i have about 25 feet of copper tubing from the a/c to the coil.

cptcrystal

Old 06-24-06, 05:32 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not an HVAC tech here but know a few (very few) things about A/C.

Are there any kinks in the tubing (an absolute no no) especially where it is hissing or very sharp bends?

Old 06-24-06, 02:38 PM
M
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Could both of you have a TXV valve on the indoor coil? Sometimes this valve can make a noise when it open's up to let freon in the coil there??????

ED
Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure if I have a TXV valve or not. The noise is definitely coming from the condensing unit area outside.

My noise may not be as noticeable as cptcrystal's unit, I can only hear is from inside the house in the bedroom near the condensing unit (the condensing unit fan and compressor is too noisy to hear it when I'm outside). The AC seems to work fine, but I've never heard this noise before until the AC tech added more freon to my unit last month and as I stated previously, its not a constant hiss, it comes and goes intermittantly.

I'll have him check the freon pressure again when he comes out for our bi-annual service later this year.

Thanks for the responses,
MM

Old 06-24-06, 09:42 PM
C
this hissing sound is heard in my house in my basement. none of the lines are kinked. It hisses only when the a/c is running. The teckie said he vaccumed the lines prior to charging the system.
and no leaks were found.

Could this be an overcharging or undercharging of the freon?

cptcrystal

Old 06-25-06, 08:32 PM
some will hiss if the charge level is low most of the time the noise is right at the refrigerant control device and will be due to flash gas, you may want to have your AC guy check the charge level by superheat/subcooling method just to be sure it is correct. Note: if your guy does not know what you are talking about when you say you want the charge level set by superheat/subcooling method you simply need another tech that can perform the job properly. Good Luck

Old 06-26-06, 05:19 AM
C
thanks i'll call him back.

thanks for all your help.

cptcrystal

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: