window unit to indoor unit DIY conversion

Old 06-25-06, 09:18 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
window unit to indoor unit DIY conversion

I have an apartment with a basement I use as a studio. I want to put an air conditioner down there but the windows are too small to install a window unit. I know I can't just plug in the window unit and leave it inside because the mechanism discharges just as much heat from the "outside" end as it does pump cold air from the "inside" end. However, if I use some sort of airtight foil/plastic material to funnel the hot air into a dryer hose and then I run the hose out the small window, will the air conditioner work? I would probably want to use a tinfoil like substance (hopefully stronger than tinfoil) for the funnel part of the duct in order to keep as much heat in as possible. Dryer hose is made for this type of thing so it would be perfect. And I would use duct tape to ensure airtight connections.

So to describe what this would look like, the square, outside end of the window unit would be wrapped in foil paper and taped to form a funnel shape. This funnel would be attached to the small, tubular end of the dryer hose, which would then feed up to a small window near the ceiling (in basements, the windows are up near the ceiling). If this works, it would have cost me about 10 dollars to put AC in my basement. The unit would probably work at a reduced capacity, but if I left it on all the time I imagine it would cool the space eventually. Thoughts?

Old 06-25-06, 10:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would not do it.It will ruin the unit.Just buy a portible unit.The move from room to room and they vent out the window like a dryer.there a bit pricy but they are what you need.

Old 06-26-06, 03:18 AM
M
Not only will I not do it, it will not work. Not only does the unit blow out the window, it sucks air IN the window. So, you would have to have airflow going in both directions, NOT MIXING within that passage. If the unit will not fit in the window then the window would not allow for enough airflow.

The proper method, although likely even more expensive that already suggested, is a package unit outside the structure with ducts to the inside. But you still have the same problem. The window would likely be large enough for the cooling duct, but it would not accomodate the return.

Any chance you can add a duct from your existing upstairs apartment to your basement?

Old 06-26-06, 03:51 AM
G
Good Point mdtaylor. Putting the unit outside and running separate ducts in through the window would be a much better idea. I would have to have one hose for the inflow and another for the outflow, but that wouldn't be hard to do. I think having the inflow be a larger tube than the outflow would be the best idea. The cold outflow is a smaller vent on the unit than the vent for inflow from the room anyway. I would think that the unit would be able to pull in and push out the same amount of air through a dryer hose as it would normally without hoses attached. As far as ruining the unit, I'm willing to risk it. If you've ever been to Chicago in July, you'd understand.

Old 06-26-06, 04:01 AM
M
Then putting your a/c outside you will need to inspect the filter every day and likely have a much better filter installed. What you will have is your cold air being sent into the house, but the return air drawing in the outside air. Your efficiency will be crap. Good luck with it.

Old 06-26-06, 04:20 AM
It wont work.

Ive seen the portables at Meijer for like $300 bucks. That's what you need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: