Help Central Air Problem-Bad Compressor?

Old 06-28-06, 11:42 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Central Air Problem-Bad Compressor?

My central air was not blowing out cool air. I had a service technician come in today to look at it. He told me that there was no Freon in the air conditioner which usually indicates a Freon leak. He told me that it would cost $130 to find the leak. I paid that. He then told me that the leak was in the outside compressor. He stated that it would cost approximately $1700 for a new compressor. My air conditioner is the standard builders grade and is nine years old.

The service technician stated that because the air conditioner is so old I may be better off getting a completely new system. He said this would cost approximatelty $5000.

I plan to stay in my house for another two years and then move. Is a new system necessary or should I opt for the compressor? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated?

Old 06-28-06, 11:52 AM
I would opt for a 2nd opinion. Did he show you the leak ?? Normally the only place a compressor will leak is where the wire connections are.

$1700 dollars is a high price for a compressor change out. At only 9 years old if indeed it is bad, you could just have a new outdoor unit installed at half the price he quoted you.

Old 06-28-06, 11:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Get 2-3 more quotes

Old 06-28-06, 12:03 PM
K
Thanks for the quick response.

I just called two other places for estimates. They are coming tomorrow =)

Does anyone know if nine years is the approximate life span of a builder's grade central air conditioner?

Old 06-28-06, 12:04 PM
If properly maintained you should get 12 - 15 years easy.

Is this straight a/c or a heat pump ??

Old 06-28-06, 01:22 PM
M
Out of a 25 unit apartment project I own that is 22 years old, I still have 18 properly maintained original units.

It sure is hard to replace a perfectly running (probably) 5 SEER units for newer 13 SEER units, but I save a lot of electricity when I do...

Old 06-28-06, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

I plan to stay in my house for another two years and then move.
Ask around some dealers still have a seer 10 high side . Id just put one of them in . The cost should be under the $1700. Thats high for just a compressor change out.

ED

Old 06-28-06, 06:15 PM
K
Thanks to everyone for your responses. They were really helpful.

Mattison, it is a straight A/C.

I believe the unit is a 9 seer, whatever that means =)

Anyway, I think I am just going to get the compressor. Thanks to this site, I will definitely get at least two more quotes before I pay the $1700.

I figured when I sell the house I can just offer a home warranty. I bought a cheap window unit to hold me over until the compressor can be ordered and installed.

Thanks again to everyone, your advice saved me lots of money and even more stress =)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: