Troubleshooting compressor, capacitor, and/or contactor

Old 07-03-06, 09:31 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting compressor, capacitor, and/or contactor

My A/C is not working.

Just replaced the fan motor on the condenser outside. I assumed it was the problem as it wasn't running, was very hot to the touch (may have just been the high temperature out side but it was too hot to touch), and had that funky burnt electric smell to it.

After replacing the fan and turning the unit on, I hear a short (2-3 seconds) humm down at the compressor motor. Every couple minutes, it will humm for a few seconds and then stop. The blower fan on the condenser unit does not spin. The blower motor inside the house (under the gas heat exchanger) turns and runs fine.

Can someone tell me how to test for a bad capacitor..., how to test for a bad contactor (the spring loaded contactor points are closed when the unit is turned on and open when turned off)..., and also how to test to see if I have a faulty motor in the compressor?

The unit is a Goodman model and there is a steady red light (no faults) on the circuit broad inside.

I have cycled the circuit breakers inside and pulled and replaced the fuse block outside.

I do have a Fluke VOM and am familiar with it's useage.

I'll continue to read previous posts for troubleshoot info and update as necessary.

*** Update ***

After reading some previous posts, I troubleshot the contactor. Reading 239 volts on bottom and top side of contactor switch.. I'll try and find some posts on the condenser...

Thanks, Ken

Last edited by CR125Honda; 07-03-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-03-06, 10:48 AM
M
It takes specialized equipment to test a capacitor, but it does exist.

From the sounds of it you coincidentally have both capacitors out, or if you have a dual cap then that cap is out.

Do you have two different capacitors with two terminals each, or one capacitor with three terminals?

Old 07-03-06, 12:20 PM
C
Repair finished...

Single capacitor..

After reading some of the past posts, I took a closer look at the capacitor. Sure enough, it had a small buldge at the top. Back to the parts store I went. Replaced the capacitor. Compressor motor and fan motor started right up. Cool air is currently cooling off my 89 degree home. Ohhhh.. Ahhh... All is well.

Till next time. Two thumbs up for this forum.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: