Help! Roasting in Florida!

Old 07-03-06, 01:02 PM
Help! Roasting in Florida!

Could someone please advise me what I should do next? Ac wasnt cooling the house. Checked the outside unit...fan would come on when first turned on, but then quit after 5-10 minutes. I read some posts here...and we changed the capacitor. Now same thing with fan. Fan spins freely..Inside unit is working. Help Please!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-06, 01:18 PM
Wink

...fan would come on when first turned on, but then quit after 5-10 minutes. I read some posts here...and we changed the capacitor. Now same thing with fan.
If the fan dont start---- them you go for the capacitor. Sounds like the motor is bad. Runs a bit over heats and cut off. Make sure you get same HP RPM and it turns same way.

Stay in the same post for this .Dont start new post for the same Ac unit. We need all the info on it that you can give.

ED

Old 07-03-06, 03:05 PM
replacing motor

Thanks for the reply...is replacing the motor a terribly difficult job? I have a Rheem split unit Classic X mfg in '96.

Old 07-03-06, 08:49 PM
Wink

No Most DIY can do it. Turn power off Get motor just like it. Same HP RPM and turns the same way. Get new cap that is for this new motor.
Mark all wires and how they go.

ED

Old 07-05-06, 07:12 AM
cant get fan blades off!

Can you help me again? I'm not sure how to get the fan blades off of the motor.....

Old 07-05-06, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by carolifra954
Can you help me again? I'm not sure how to get the fan blades off of the motor.....
there is a set screw that holds it to the shaft, remove that. blast it with a bit of penetrating lubricant and let it sit for a bit, then get a pulley remover from an automotive store or somewhere.

Raul

Old 07-05-06, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by raru
there is a set screw that holds it to the shaft, remove that. blast it with a bit of penetrating lubricant and let it sit for a bit, then get a pulley remover from an automotive store or somewhere.

Raul
If you still cant get the blade off the shaft you can heat the fan at the hub and will slide off the shaft easier. sanding the rust off the shaft will help also. Worst case would be to replace the fan too.

Old 07-05-06, 08:18 AM
forgot to say to make sure you mark/measure the fan location. you want to make sure that you have it at the same location on the new fan. just more tidbits of info picked up from folks here.

Old 07-05-06, 10:16 AM
does it make a difference?

Thanks for the info on how to remove the fan. Does it really matter who makes the motor? I saw them online for up to $250...then found a local shop who quoted $48... Any ideas on that? I'd obviously rather pay $48.....Thanks!

Old 07-05-06, 10:27 AM
Wink

Like I said before. Same HP-- RPM---and--- turn the same way. Get new cap with it. Take motor with you so you are sure it will fit.

ED

Old 07-05-06, 10:38 AM
Wink

Thanks for all your help...gonna buy it now and will let u know how it goes!