Window AC Cuts Off

Old 07-05-06, 08:06 PM
Gen
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window AC Cuts Off

My window AC unit clicks on, gets cool for several seconds, then the cool shuts off and fan continues. It is a small slim Carrier unit--about 5 yrs young. What can I do? Is it worth fixing or time for a new one. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-06, 08:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
gen My window AC unit clicks on, gets cool for several seconds, then the cool shuts off and fan continues. It is a small slim Carrier unit--about 5 yrs young. What can I do? Is it worth fixing or time for a new one. Thanks.
Could be a number of things the temp senser the compresser over heating so I need more info.

How long does it run before it shuts down. Do you clean the air fliter once a month or at all.you could try to remove the outer cover and hose down the coils(don't use the gun atachment to much pressure just put your finger over the hose)and clean both coils and avoid the electrionics.Water and electricy are not best of friends Let it dry before running it.

Old 07-06-06, 06:43 AM
Gen
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
I need more info.

How long does it run before it shuts down.
Several seconds

Old 07-06-06, 06:46 AM
Like Lex said. Take it out and remove the cover. Carefully hose out the coils real good. Avoiding the electronics area. Cover them up if you have to with a plastic bag.

Old 07-06-06, 07:22 PM
AC problems can have multiple sources

Your problem could be: The obvious bad thermostat [give it a whack when the unit kicks off to see if there is a change] , Blockage in the freon lines would cause the high pressure cutoff switch to open shutting down the compressor in repeating cycles,or you may have bad connections at the compressor or start capacitor wiring;these contacts may open after the wires heat up at full electrical load. Start with the easy stuff and hit it with a hammer like my grandma would ! Good Luck.