A/C Leaking Near Air Handling Unit

Old 07-06-06, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C Leaking Near Air Handling Unit

I recently had an electrical fire in my home. We had a massive power surge come into the home and it found ground by going through my furnace. Apparently my primary electrical ground was not attached to the incoming public water line. The surge chose to follow the electrical line to the furnace, where it made its way through the furnace and into the gas lines of the house. The electrical wire to the furnace melted and burned and the gas lines in the house became hot (temp-wise) enough to burn your hand on.

The electrical line to the furnace caught the insulation behind the furnace on fire. The fire department basically blasted the entire laundry room, including furnace and hot water heater, with liquid foam.

After power was restored (11 days later!), a plumber affiliated with the insurance comapany came out and checked a few things. He performed a pressure test on the gas lines in the house, turned the gas back on, and re-lit the water heater. He turned the A/C on so we know the blower motor in the furnace works.

Is there anything else this guy should have done? Don't you think he would test the furnace? What kind of long term damage could this foam have caused to the furnace or hot water heater?

This was a brand new (installed 11/05) Ruud furnace.

I also noticed that the one of the two A/C lines (insulated one) that enter the air handing unit is now leaking a liquid down the side of the duct. How bad is that and do you think it could have been caused by the power surge. We know the A/C unit took some of the surge because the neutral electrical line running to it was damaged. The A/C is still blowing cold though.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-06, 08:50 AM
Was everything cleaned off and dry before applied electrical power to it again.

you need to find out what the liquid is it could be left over foam that got worked way up.

Does the heater still work

I would take off the acces panel to the electronics of the furnace and make sure they don' t have crap all over them. Also I would look around where the burners are for crap all over, You may have some cleaning to do with contact cleaner. or some form of cleaner and a rag. You may even want to ask the fire dept what to use to clean the foam/residue off. I have not read a MSDS on that stuff.

Old 07-06-06, 09:02 AM
You are correct is saying you had a major surge/transient in your home. Whether it came from outside or because of a failure in your home is another story that you have posted else where.

Old 07-06-06, 09:03 AM
Wink

I also noticed that the one of the two A/C lines (insulated one) that enter the air handing unit is now leaking a liquid down the side of the duct. How bad is that and do you think it could have been caused by the power surge. We know the A/C unit took some of the surge because the neutral electrical line running to it was damaged. The A/C is still blowing cold though.
Id have a Hvac guy or gal look at the AC and furnace Right now. Feei and smell that liquid you say is running down. Can be the oil from a freon leak in the line there. Also new AC and funace have boards in them now be sure and they check that out also.

ED

Old 07-06-06, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Id have a Hvac guy or gal look at the AC and furnace Right now. Feei and smell that liquid you say is running down. Can be the oil from a freon leak in the line there. Also new AC and funace have boards in them now be sure and they check that out also.

ED
Thanks.....the plumber/HVAC guy has been out twice. I guess I'll have to call him again.

Old 07-06-06, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by hotrodder89
You are correct is saying you had a major surge/transient in your home. Whether it came from outside or because of a failure in your home is another story that you have posted else where.
What does this have to do with a plumbing problem? Why do you feel the need to point this out?

Old 07-06-06, 10:07 AM
because you pointed out a surge here and stated it came from outside.

Old 07-06-06, 10:08 AM
If oil was escaping like you described so would your freon but way faster and you would not have air conditioning.

That is why I said it was foam residue because you say you have cold air.

I don't know why you bother asking us anything , you want to hear the answer you want, and not the most obvious simple answer right in front of you.

You should have stated you had no cold air and there was a fluid leaking down the pipe in your house. Then I would say oil leak. Ask the question that would give the answer your want, not the question with the answer you don't want

Old 07-06-06, 11:20 AM
because you pointed out a surge here and stated it came from outside.
That may matter in the electrical forum, but it doesn't apply here. You are trying to be a jerk and proving yourself quite capable of that. I see that your join date was last month....perhaps you don't realize that being an jerk is not really good on a help forum.

Old 07-06-06, 11:23 AM
If oil was escaping like you described so would your freon but way faster and you would not have air conditioning.

I don't know why you bother asking us anything , you want to hear the answer you want, and not the most obvious simple answer right in front of you.

You should have stated you had no cold air and there was a fluid leaking down the pipe in your house. Then I would say oil leak. Ask the question that would give the answer your want, not the question with the answer you don't want
I never said oil was leaking. I said a liquid.......that could be water for all I know.

I don't think you actually read what I write. You are in such a rush to be an ass that you don't even pay attention. From here on out your advice is completely worthless to me and I urge the moderators of this forum to disable your account.

I ask questions to get advice and input. You are just a jerk with too much time on your hands.

Old 07-06-06, 11:29 AM

BTW, Ed (the moderator) was the one who mentioned oil. I'm starting to think that you don't know how to use these forums. I only say the stuff that has "XS6DFG0" next to it.

Old 07-06-06, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking that if the heat was that hot all the insulation was burned away from the suction line. Your A/C guy should have replaced that, but if he didn't then the line would be sweating and dripping everywhere. Even if it is exposed several feet away the condensation will travel down the inside of the insulation and drip at the lowest point. Like Ed said (it was Ed, right?) take a close look at it. Feel it, smell it... Hopefully all it is is condensation from an exposed suction line.

Old 07-06-06, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by mdtaylor
I'm thinking that if the heat was that hot all the insulation was burned away from the suction line. Your A/C guy should have replaced that, but if he didn't then the line would be sweating and dripping everywhere. Even if it is exposed several feet away the condensation will travel down the inside of the insulation and drip at the lowest point. Like Ed said (it was Ed, right?) take a close look at it. Feel it, smell it... Hopefully all it is is condensation from an exposed suction line.
There was a pretty good amount of heat in the room. The electrical lines to the furnace were on fire and the fiberglass insulation behind the furnace was on fire. The fire department blasted everything with flame retardent foam.

Thanks......I'm going to check that when I get home. The puddle that was forming on the top of the furnace just looked like crystal clear water. I put a towel down to soak it up and then I turned off the A/C. I only had the A/C running for about 30 minutes prior to noticing this. It was the first time the A/C had run in about 13 days.

I'll check it.

Old 07-06-06, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by XS6DFG0
That may matter in the electrical forum, but it doesn't apply here. You are trying to be a jerk and proving yourself quite capable of that. I see that your join date was last month....perhaps you don't realize that being an jerk is not really good on a help forum.

Good point only a jerk can help another

Old 07-06-06, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by XS6DFG0
I never said oil was leaking. I said a liquid.......that could be water for all I know.

I don't think you actually read what I write. You are in such a rush to be an ass that you don't even pay attention. From here on out your advice is completely worthless to me and I urge the moderators of this forum to disable your account.

I ask questions to get advice and input. You are just a jerk with too much time on your hands.
You weren't happy with responses till oil was brought up, and you are very hard headed so we make a perfect match

I just got the internet last month so that must deem me unfit to help you

Old 07-06-06, 12:22 PM
You weren't happy with responses till oil was brought up, and you are very hard headed so we make a perfect match

I just got the internet last month so that must deem me unfit to help you
I don't doubt that you understand electrical concepts, you just need to slow down and read everything and not be nasty. You don't get on a forum and immediately start blasting someone who wants help. You came on and started saying that my post was full of useless information. I'm not an expert on plumbing or electrical......I'm trying to tell you what I know because I was there.

I never went on the forum and said I was out to get the power company.

When you make a statement like, "But if your fuse panel failed you would have produced the transient that killed everyone elses breakers.", that tells me you have not read what I wrote. I told you that none of my neighbors had breakers trip.

Considering how you have reacted towards me and towards the fireman, I am inclined you believe that you are employed by a power company or were at one time.

If you think I'm a little ticked at the poco then you're damn right. This guy was ready to leave and say "up yours" to me.

Old 07-06-06, 01:00 PM
Ya there was to much useless info and stories and fairy tales, no wonder why I got confused reading.

Your opinion on my electrical knowledge makes me laugh. thanks for the chuckle.

Maybe sometime you will ask a question and not tell us a story.

Time to figure out how to use that the block member thing in profile ttyl or maybe not

You can go to ignore member. I already did it to you. I can't stand your posts all you do is just complain about answer or you post things with not enough info. Wouldn't you think to take a closer look at the fluid than to run to the pc and say there is a fluid dripping, Its like ok maybe your pet peed on it or maybe I did. Bring us facts and useful info not stories or grief and you will get the responses you want.

Last edited by hotrodder89; 07-06-06 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 01:29 PM
Your opinion on my electrical knowledge makes me laugh. thanks for the chuckle.
I paid you a compliment about your electrical knowledge and then you insult me.

Are you out of your mind?

Wouldn't you think to take a closer look at the fluid than to run to the pc and say there is a fluid dripping, Its like ok maybe your pet peed on it or maybe I did.
I'm not at home slick. I witnessed the leak just before I left the house last night. Obviously I'm not living there until things are repaired.

Ya there was to much useless info and stories and fairy tales, no wonder why I got confused reading.
You complain about what I wrote, yet you obviously have not read what I wrote. Believe me, that wasn't why you were confused.

Everything that spews out of you is complete nonsense.

I still can't believe that you went onto a plumbing forum to nit pick about something that was said on an electrical forum. Are you a woman? I mean no disrespect if you are, but that was certainly not something the average man would do?

Here is a tip: If you see a question on the forums that you can't answer or don't have anything positive to contribute, then just ignore it and move on.

Why do you have to be a whiny prick?

Old 07-06-06, 02:50 PM
Wink

Sorry about all this XS6DFG0 It just takes time for some people to grow up I guess.

ED