Capacitor Size

Old 07-06-06, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Capacitor Size

I had an AC repair man come out to my house. As I suspected, he told me the capacitor was bad. Instead of having him replace it at $150, I decided to go to a parts store and got one myself for $25.

Unfortunately the ac guy told me the capacitor was a 35/5 440v capacitor. I wrote it down without looking at my original and purchased the new one. I notice now, however that the actual size of the capacitor on my unit is 35/5 370v.

I put the new one on anyway and it works fine. Just wondering if the difference between the 440v and 370v will damage anything in the unit. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-06, 11:36 AM
You will be fine thats the max voltage rating before the dielectric in the cap will just break down and short, or blow the cap up.

You are either 120V or 220V

usually caps are rated in uF microfarads. but they could be using a different system to rate the capacitance with the 35/5 that might be 35E-12 x (10^5)
So no worries good catch and question

So you got a higher performance Cap than you had before not that it makes difference, the value is what counts, because the capacitive impedance helps to cancel out the inductive impedance of the coil in the motor. This saves you money on your electric bill power factor correction.
A cap can also be used to induce a phase shift to make a single phase system start like a 2 phase. It all depends on the motors used and how it was setup

wow $150 to change a cap, I need to quit my job, wish I could make $150 every 15min of work

Last edited by hotrodder89; 07-06-06 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-06-06, 02:07 PM
Thank you for your help. I'm glad it will work without causing any problems.

I knew the capacitors were inexpensive. Glad I decided to take 20 minutes to drive to the parts store and get it myself. Even with the price of gas I still saved $125 ...

Old 11-19-08, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Crazzy8 View Post
Thank you for your help. I'm glad it will work without causing any problems.

I knew the capacitors were inexpensive. Glad I decided to take 20 minutes to drive to the parts store and get it myself. Even with the price of gas I still saved $125 ...
Today, I called technician to look at my heat pump. He told me that capacitor is not working. He replaced the capacitor and charged $173 on top of $85 for service call/visit.
Man, it is too much.
Where did you buy the capacitor? Is there any chain that sells general Heat pump, furnace or AC parts?

Old 11-20-08, 03:32 AM
Capacitor crazy

Gentleman I do believe we have found the most expensive service company in the country. Where was this new York City.

Old 11-20-08, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by mike n View Post
Gentleman I do believe we have found the most expensive service company in the country. Where was this new York City.
It was Air Professional Inc from Bethelehem, PA
Is there anything I can do to get some of my money back now? In this economical condition, this amout is preposterously high.