A/C - Intermittent Cooling

Old 07-08-06, 02:30 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question A/C - Intermittent Cooling

I have a York Package Unit that has been professionally cleaned and charged within the last month. The unit cools exceptionally well when it is working, so I believe that the freon, etc. is okay. The problem is that from time to time it just stops cooling. Everything seems normal, the fan runs, etc. it just stops cooling.

What I have noticed that is different is that the air coming out of the ducts is room temperature, and the water that normally runs out of the drain outside dries up. When this happens the temperature in the house never goes below 80 degrees. I can turn the unit off for a little while and sometimes when I turn it back on it starts working correctly again.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Every time my A/C guy comes out it seems to be working... Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-08-06, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say need more to work with. Does the fan out side stop?? Does it run and the compressor stop. Id say get the HVAC guy there and have him see what the amp draw is. Could Ohm out the compressor . When it does this see what is doing or not doing at outside unit.

ED

Old 07-09-06, 09:25 AM
S
More info..

Unfortunately every time the HVAC guy has been out it has been working fine, I guess we need to work on our timing.

Anyway, when this happens the fan outside continues to run (and run and run and run). Not sure if the compressor is running or not, but I'm guessing that it's not because the air is no longer cool (just room temp). Nothing is freezing up or anything - I checked that. The main clue I have is that every time it quits working the water from the drain pipe outside dries up. I live in Arkansas, land of humidity, so there is usually quite a bit of water coming from the drain, but when the AC stops cooling there is no longer any water - everything else looks normal - but the water always dries up.

I guess I'll keep trying to get the HVAC guy out here at the right time to catch it when it's not working correctly. Thanks for the reply Ed.

Old 07-09-06, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

When its running is the big copper pipe cold and wet ,then little copper line warm??

Make sure the tech Amps the compressor and Ohm it out.

ED

Old 07-10-06, 05:15 AM
S
Been working since I posted

It's been working since I posted the original message so I haven't had a chance to check it. Just like taking your car to the repair shop... When it quits again I will check out the temp of the pipes and reply.

Thanks...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: