Lennox Dripping Small Amount of Water

Old 07-08-06, 07:16 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lennox Dripping Small Amount of Water

We have a Lennox AC system (6 tyars old) in the hall closet (vertical). The system has the filter at the bottom and when you remove it, you can look up to the underside of the coils (lying on your back much like changing the oil on your car). It has no pan, the water seems to drip to a plastic one which runs around the perimeter of the A Coils and to which the drain is and the PVC line is connected to. If you remove the front cover of the air handler unit you can see the coil right in front of you in the position of basically a capital letter A.

On the left hand side if facing the air handler unit in the closet, it is dripping a small amount of water onto the filter which then drips on the floor. What can be causing the drip of water? The unit is cooling fine, the big line is very cold and condensing, the unit does not freeze up and the coils are relatively clean (I'd say a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10). We change the filter every 30 days consistently. The drain line seems to be draining fine however, where it exits the air handler the compnay connected both peices of PVC with a clear peice of plastic tubing for what they called a clean out. I can see that in that section of clear tubing there seems to be some standing water, but it does not look like it is backing up into the plastic tray when I remove the front cover of the air handler to check it.

My questions is what can be causing the small drip of water if it is NOT the drain line? Can the water be dripping directly off the coils or fins onto the filter and somehow not running down into the plastic tray? Please help, this is driving me crazy!!!!

Old 07-08-06, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

Hard to say for sure. Have had small piece a insulation fall on the A coil. Dirt on or in the coil . YUK in the drain pan.
I take it the blower is past the coil so it draws air over the coil. So you need a P trap right there on the drain line off the unit. I dont get if you have one there or not.

where it exits the air handler the compnay connected both peices of PVC with a clear peice of plastic tubing for what they called a clean out. I can see that in that section of clear tubing there seems to be some standing water, but it does not look like it is backing up into the plastic tray when I remove the front cover of the air handler to check it.
?????????

ED

Old 07-08-06, 09:49 PM
R
Thanks for the response,

No P-trap there. If facing the air handler, the drain is on the right hand side. There is a elbow PVC peice (going to the right) connected to the drain then about 2 inches of straight pvc pipe then a clear peice of plastic tube (tie rapped to the straight pipe) then another peice of straight pvc pipe (again tie wrapped) then another elbow going down towards the floor, then a straight peice of pvc which goes through my floor and under the house (i have about a 3 foot crawl space under the house) with another elbow joint to the right then straight for about a 10 foot run which it then exits the underside of the house and drains in the grass.

Do you think if I place a shop vac on the outside drain line end and suck will it completely clear the line or is the run to long to reach at the air handler end?

Also, how can I check if the water is dripping directly from the coils onto the filter? Should I try and vacuum the underside of the coils? can I take out the filter and lie on my back looking up at the underside of the coils WITH THE SYSTEM RUNNING and see if I can tell where it is dripping from? Or should I not run the system without the filter?

Thanks

Old 07-09-06, 04:54 AM
M
What this sounds like to me...

Ideally, when an evaporator coils condenses the humidity, the slant of the A coils directs the condensation to the drain pans.

A combination of the slant and the airflow is what keeps the condensation from dripping straight down.

If the peak of the A coil gets dirty enough it will restrict the airflow, and allow a means whereby the condensation has a pathway to drip straight down.

You can do just as you say. Lay on your back with the filter removed while the unit is operating and you can watch it in action. I think that a thorough cleaning may just solve your problem.

On the other hand, while you are down there, look closely for anything like insulation, panelling, or tubing that appears to be slightly out of place causing airflow where it should not be, or obstructions to the airflow, or anything touching the coils that might provide this downward path to allow the condensation to drip straight down instead of following the coils on the downward angle into the pan.

Old 07-09-06, 06:49 AM
Wink

When your not there its hard to say what. Yes a shop vac works blow and suck on the line. Also YUK builds Up in the drain pan under the coil some times wash it out best you can. Clorox and we have a pill also to put in the pan . Helps keep it clean. Your drain line is ok as long as it has some fall to it. But you should have a p trap there at the unit. It would look just like the P trap under a sink. I have seen traps for the AC 3/4" at both Lowes and Home depot.

ED

Old 07-09-06, 10:51 AM
R
[QUOTE=mdtaylor]What this sounds like to me...

If the peak of the A coil gets dirty enough it will restrict the airflow, and allow a means whereby the condensation has a pathway to drip straight down.

You can do just as you say. Lay on your back with the filter removed while the unit is operating and you can watch it in action. I think that a thorough cleaning may just solve your problem.

MDTAYLOR - thanks. What is the best way you recommend to clean the coils withouth taking them out and having to pay a tech to do it. Will simply vacuming the underside of the coils with a wet vac do the trick? Or should I go to Home Depot and purchase one of those foaming non rinsing required sprays? Or third option, will lightly going over the fins with a brush (being careful not to bend the fins) work as well followed by a spray of 50/50 bleach and water? Thanks!!!

Old 07-09-06, 11:17 AM
M
I do not use the non-rinse type. Can't help you there. I would use an A/C grade of coil cleaner; rinse; and wet vac. I don't think I would recommend to the homeowner to touch the coils with anything, and be very careful with the wet vac. And I NEVER recommend the use of bleach on A/C coils. NEVER.

Old 07-10-06, 08:58 AM
R
Well, last night I noticed that now it is starting to develop a small leak at the pvc elbow joint connected to the drain from the air handler. This is now in addition to the existing drip from the left rear of the unit. Both drips are very small.

I am starting to suspect that my trouble is coming all from the main drain line which is partially clogged. Thoughts? Thanks

Old 07-10-06, 09:27 AM
Wink

The drain lines are the first thing you check and make sure are clean.

ED

Old 07-10-06, 10:40 AM
R
I had checked it and there was some water in the clear plastic tube but not enough I thought to be causing a back up. Also, the water seemed to be draining to the outside fine.

Do you recommend trying to clear with a wet vac, or can I simply flush the line out with the garden house?

Old 07-10-06, 11:50 AM
Wink

Use the hose if you can there to clean . Make sure you dont have any more yuk in the pan. A shop vac dont make as much mess is all.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: