Adding ceilling air return for AC unit

Old 07-10-06, 10:22 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding ceilling air return for AC unit

I have an air handler in the attic with the evaporator in it. The house has baseboard heat. The air handler only has 1 central air intake. It causes the room to become warm when the doors are closed. I don't want to cut off the bottom of the doors if I can help it. I would like to add vents to the ceillings of the room affected and tie them into the trunk for the intake air of the handler. The "truck is just a 2x6 framework with plywood on top and the air handler sits on top of this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to filter the air from the individual rooms? My main filter is right on the central intake vent, so the room vents would be after the filter. I would also assume I have to decrease the surface area of the central intake vent by the area of the new vents to keep the system balanced. Any other advice?

Thanks
Chris

Old 07-10-06, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

Check the unit in the attic all most all units have a slid in for filters right in the unit. With one there you can pick up return air anywhere with flex pipe back to the return duct if you want
ED

Old 07-10-06, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Adding return

When I installed my A/C (in the attic), I used filter grilles for each of the returns. It wasn't cheap nor is replacing all of the filters but it beats the dickens out of having to go up in the attic (no stairs) to get to the air handler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: