Condensation dripping from ducts

Old 07-10-06, 12:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensation dripping from ducts

I was unsure if this should be heer or in the ductworkk forum but since the AC has been installed my ducts in my unfinished basement are swetaing from the A coil all throughout any supply duct is that I can feel. So are even dripping. my concern is that is there is condensation on the outside that there could be condensation on the indise which could lead to mold in my ducts.

What can I do to stop this? And what is causing it? If I simply crap the ducts in insulation will that stop the condensation or will it just hide it and make my problem worse?

thanks

Old 07-10-06, 12:37 PM
Do you have supplies and a return in your basement ?? If so the condensation will stop once the humidty is removed from the space. If you are not conditioning the basement then you will have to insulate the ductwork.

Old 07-10-06, 12:45 PM
D
Originally Posted by mattison
Do you have supplies and a return in your basement ?? If so the condensation will stop once the humidty is removed from the space. If you are not conditioning the basement then you will have to insulate the ductwork.
there was a supply and return in the basement which was simply a vent cut into a duct that was suppling part of the house. This was making my basement freezing and the rooms the supply was going, less cool. So I taped them both up along with many other leaks I have found that come along with having very old ductwork.

So the long answer is no, I do nto have a supply and a return in the basement. But there will never be a state of balance achieved since there are some old bilco doors on the one side of the basement and there are 2 widnowns that really do not close well so I will never get rid of the humidity in that space. I dont kow if it makes any difference but the basement is also half dirt, half concrete.

So insulate the ducts then? will this stopp the condensation or will the insulation just stay trapped in the insulation and create mold in there? My intention is to insulate them because I would think that insulated ducts are more efficient that non insulated and since I am sacrificing efficency in other areas to retain character (leaving in 31 original windows with the cords and weights) I would like to salvage what I can in other discreet areas

Old 07-10-06, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

If you closed off the outlets down there then the duct is in uncondition space so yes you have to use insulated duct there. A 6 mil poly down on the dirt and floor will help some.

ED

Old 07-10-06, 01:19 PM
D
And so insulating the ducts will solve the problem and not just cover it up. I just want to be sure that I wont have water build up behind the insulatin and just not be able to see it

Old 07-10-06, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Duct insulation

Be sure to use insulation made for wrapping ducts. It has a foil face not kraft paper like wall insulation. I suggest R-6 or higher.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: