Central air keeps running!!

Old 07-11-06, 01:23 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Central air keeps running!!

I have a question regarding a couple of central A/C units that I'm working on.Everything seems to be running fine on them and they are cooling ok,its just that they won't stop running.The temp. outside today is about 92 degrees and very humid.The temp I set on the thermostat is about 75 degrees.My question is is this normal being that its so hot out?Any help would be greatly appreciated!!Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-11-06, 01:41 PM
What is the temp inside the house? If you have a small thermometer check the inlet temp at the return air, then take the temp at a supply grille. You should be getting a 15-20 degree split.

The systems should have been designed to cool to a certain indoor temp under peak load conditions. For example, when I do a manual J heat load calculation I set the peak summer temp to 102 degrees and the desired indoor temp to 76 degrees, and install the proper size accordingly. Under those conditions the system will run most of the day to keep the house at 76 degrees. Depending on the area you live in, the systems may or may not be operating properly.

You might want to have a summer maintenance call done to see if refrigerant charges etc are correct.

Old 07-11-06, 01:53 PM
L
Indoor temps are ok.The a/c's are cooling ok.They aren't low on freon.They just don't shut off!!

Old 07-11-06, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What do you mean by "o.k."? What is the actual temp coming out a register? Does your house have lots of windows with the sun pouring in? You can figure 5000 btu of heat the a/c is fighting at each window! Is your attic insulated AND ventilated very well? Is your blower blowing out the air with pretty good force at most registers? Have you made sure that duct dampers are not closed down in the basement? Is your furnace filter pretty clean? Stuff like that.

Old 07-12-06, 04:57 AM
L
Actually,its not a house,its an apartment.The thermostat is set for 75 deg. and its coming out of the registers at 70 deg.The filter is clean and all of the blinds are down in all rooms.

Old 07-12-06, 06:06 AM
if the temp inside the house is 75 degrees you should have 55-60 degree air comming out of the grilles. If it is 70 degrees there is a problem. If your sure the pressures are good then check the ductwork to make sure its in good shape (no leaks).

Old 07-12-06, 09:56 AM
L
Originally Posted by Service Manager
if the temp inside the house is 75 degrees you should have 55-60 degree air comming out of the grilles. If it is 70 degrees there is a problem. If your sure the pressures are good then check the ductwork to make sure its in good shape (no leaks).

Even if the outside temp is 90 and humid,I should still be getting 60 inside??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: