thermostat/ac problems

Old 07-17-06, 12:32 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry thermostat/ac problems

Hi,

I am a TOTAL newbie when it comes to mechanical issues, so bear with me!
My heat pump ac has decided not to work. It is an old system and stopped working suddenly last night.
The thermostat to this system has not worked properly for the past two years. When using the cooling system I've had to manually turn on the ac using the temperature switch--the fan is set to AUTO, and I will turn the cooling on by moving the temperature switch until the air comes on, usually around 72/75 degrees. The system will then cool the house very well, but will run continually. It doesn't matter if the set temperature has been reached. Late in the evening, I turn the cooling off by setting the temperature up. However, let's say it is 75 degrees in the house and I go to turn it off--I will slide the switch slowly until it turns off, and often this does not happen until the switch reaches 85 or 90 degrees.
Last evening I turned the system on , but this time I quickly slid the temperature down to 70 and I believe I heard it turn on. However, after a while I realized that the system was not running. I moved the temperature switch slowly up and down, but the system would not turn on. I then turned the fan to ON as opposed to AUTO. The fan turned on.
This morning I checked the exterior unit, and the fan is not turning. The interior blower fan works.
Is this a thermostat issue or a heat pump issue? I've been trying to get my husband to replace the thermostat for a while, but he hasn't. Is it that the switch at the thermostat end isn't working or is the whole system messed up? This happened once before, and after a day or so, it just started working again.
We are having a heat wave and I noticed how many repair trucks I've seen in driveways today! I have a mind to get a new system--this one is 20+ years old. However, my first question is should I just go out a buy a new thermostat? Mine is original to the system and has the mercury bubbles, etc.
Thanks for your quick (hopefullly) reply!

Furgs

Old 07-17-06, 03:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I then turned the fan to ON as opposed to AUTO. The fan turned on.
This morning I checked the exterior unit, and the fan is not turning. The interior blower fan works.
Does the stat work if you take the cover off???
Does every thing work If you jump for R to say W---- R to Y ---- R to G ----R to O/B
Does out door fan run or just the compressor??

Need more info here.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: