Installing/Hiding a Mini Split

Old 07-18-06, 09:45 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Installing/Hiding a Mini Split

I have a question for the pro A/C guys. I live in an upstairs condo and want to install a 9k-12k mini-split to cool my 290 sq ft bed/bath (I'm in southern California). Only problem is that the HOA is utterly restrictive and wont let me put the condenser outside (they are a couple of old women who live on first floor units and don't think anyone needs or deserves A/C). Meanwhile I'm miserable without A/C. My interior temps reach the 80's even with doors open and fans on, including a 1700 cfm whole house fan.

I have already looked at a vertical PTACs but don't have the power service (they require about 20 amps of 230, I have a whole 50 amps at 230 for the entire condo) and they would require 2 large holes in the roof (HOA board wouldn't approve).

My $1M question is can a mini-split condenser be installed in the attic where it will be completely hidden? I know it needs cool air through the condenser coils and I also know it exhausts hot air out of the condenser. The attic is common so the combined vent area is rather large so the exhaust fan wouldn't struggle at all. If I duct-in cool air through an existing roof vent (they're 14" square) and make a plenum to the intake of the condenser, is there any reason it wouldn't work effectively? Has anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this before?

Just FYI, portable units and window units are also out per the HOA (asthetics) plus portable units are loud as heck when you're trying to sleep (tried that, returned that last summer).

The evaporator could be wall mounted on a wall between the bed and bath that has the bathroom sink for the drain hook up. Sanyo has a 16 seer 9k BTU cooling only unit that draws about 7 amps at 120V, and a 12k unit that draws 11 amps at 120V. I'm considering these but am open to other ideas. While creativity is always appreciated, tried and true ideas would score major points.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 07-18-06, 10:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I dont know of any condenser that would run up in a attic. You cant try and duct the air to them.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: