Condensation in return duct

Old 07-19-06, 12:28 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Condensation in return duct

Today I noticed condensation in our air conditioning return duct. I discovered it because the dripping was keeping me awake!!!

When I removed the filter I could see some areas of wetness. Some of the wood was considerably wet. This is a fairly new problem because I didn't see it last month when I cleaned the filter (it is one of those kind you clean, not replace).

I could not see where the water was dripping from.

What causes this and what can I do about it?

Thank you.

Old 07-19-06, 06:31 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is your air handler sitting vertically in a closet, and the return air directly below?

Get a shop vac and suck out the drip pan lines.

Old 07-19-06, 07:57 AM
D
Thanks for your response. What is an air handler? I don't think mine is sitting in a closet because right above my return air is my linen closet. Where else might it be? What is a drip pan line?

This air filter filter area is unlike any I have seen in our other houses before. There is a panel that screws into the wall in the hall under my linen closet. The air filter sits right behind that panel. When you take the air filter out there is nothing behind it but space. Enough space for my seven year old and a friend to hide!

Is it possible that the last time I washed out the filter that I didn't let it dry enough before putting it back in? If that is the case, what can I do about this now? Replace the filter and try to dry up the wet places with a towel?

Are those washable filters even good? Should I switch to the kind you have to replace every month?

Thanks so much.

Old 07-19-06, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The airhandler is your furnace where the blower is. It's probably in your attic or basement. The condensate lines MD is speaking of will be white pvc drain lines coming from your airhandler. If it's in the attic you should have 2 drains. One from the unit itself and one from a pan under the unit.

I personally don't reccomend washable filters. They end up being clogged even though they look clean. I use the $5.00 dollar pleated filters from any home improvement or hardware store and replace it every 30 - 90 days depending on how dirty it gets.

Old 07-19-06, 08:46 AM
D
Thanks mattison!

Is it possibe that everything for my unit is outside? It is a heat pump. I don't have a furnace and there is nothing concerning the unit in the attic.

Thanks for the filter recommendation.

Is there any possibility that this is being caused because I didn't let the filter dry long enough last month?

Thank you!

Old 07-19-06, 09:12 AM
Wink

With Matt on that filter get a good one not a washable one for sure. If thats the filter you have been useing over the years could be that the AC coil needs to be cleaned. This also as the drain line from the unit.
When you take the air filter out there is nothing behind it but space. Enough space for my seven year old and a friend to hide!
If they got behind the filter this could let dirt go right to the coil and not get filtered air to the unit.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: