Trying to Estimate Cost @ 24,000 BTU's

Old 07-19-06, 05:10 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trying to Estimate Cost @ 24,000 BTU's

Ok, Im starting to loose patience here. Im trying to figure out if its worth ditching old reliable, or running her till she blows.

I have a 24,000 BTU Fedders Model ACG24E3A. Im guessing its at least 10 years old, most likely older. It is centrally located in the house, and is ducted up into the attic. I have a nice 30x30 stainless steel drip pan under it, that goes right into a main drain. Next to Central Air, this is the hot setup. It really does cool most of the house right down into the mid-70's. Even when its really hot out, like 102 yesterday, it still keeps the house around high 70's, and dry as can be.

A few more statistics. Its hooked up to a twin 30-amp breaker, where Im guessing it has two hot legs at 30amps each. It is running on 220 per its requirement. I have not had time yet to put an Amp meter on it to figure out draw during usage.

I run it on the Lowest setting which is Lo Cool. No need to go higher, as it is loud, and really not neccesary.

Problem. I think this thing is costing me a fortune. I tried talking to CL&P about it, but they were little to no use. I asked if I could calculate it via kilowatt hours and that confused the crap out of them.

Now, I could go on and on and on, but Im just looking hopefully for someone who just has a hard answer. What the heck is it going to cost me to operate this thing. 24/7 for 30 days, or however you want to break it down is fine with me.

My point is this. Should I run it, or buy a new one due to the Energy Savings of the newer models. On a side note. House is already wired for Central Air, and will be done if not this spring, definately the next...........

Old 07-19-06, 05:34 AM
M
24000 but/hr is roughly equivalent to 7kW/hr

Old 07-19-06, 05:43 AM
J
Originally Posted by mdtaylor
24000 but/hr is roughly equivalent to 7kW/hr
Im confused then.

At 7kw/hr and paying .17 per kwh to CL&P, are you telling me that its costing me $1.19 per hour, $28.56 per day, and $856.80 per month if I run it 24/7 for 30 days????

This seems impossible to me... How the heck could this be true.......Please tell me its not true.

Old 07-19-06, 01:22 PM
M
Well, it's not quite that simple. Your a/c unit is capable of producing 24000 btu cooling capacity. That is not the amount of energy it uses. Obviously, as technology changes the amount of energy used to produce 24000 but's decreases.

You should probably look on your unit for information regarding energy consumption. Normal operating ampres and nominal voltage in your house is enough to make the estimate you are looking for.

Old 07-20-06, 03:10 AM
J
I know one things for sure. My bill averages from $80-$90 no more, no less. Everything in my house is brand new, Energy Star appliances etc etc etc. My meter barely moves when I look at it. I mean, its like dead stop.

I looked at it last night before I turned the AC OFF!! It was spinning uncontrolably fast. I mean, GOSH DARN, I dont think it could spin any faster. Never seen anything like it.

Turned off the AC, and boom, right back to Turtle mode....

Scary...

Last edited by mattison; 07-20-06 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Please watch the language.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: