Outside AC-Compressor Unit Choked??

Old 07-21-06, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside AC-Compressor Unit Choked??

I returned back from vacation and when I tried to turn the Central AC unit ON, I found that the AC wont cool the house. The Fan/blower of the AC unit is working but it wasnt cooling the house.

Being a noob on this front, I called the $89 HVAC diagnosis doctor out of yellow pages. After having a cursory look at the outside unit (compressor?) of our AC unit, he suggested that it was "choked" with mud and he suggested replacing it will cost $2800.

The outside unit is about 10 years old (Brand: York Stellar) ... kept in our backyard. For the last couple of years... our backyard has less grass and more mud - which he feared was the reason of failure.

I have tried searching this site and many others to see some issue like this - but failed to find one. - I am not sure if the his diagnosis is correct and this is what caused the outside unit to fail - and if the only solution is to replace it with a $3K expenditure. I have checked all circuitbreakers and everything seems to be in order. When the unit is switched on... it produces a slight BEEPING sound...

Is there any other indication I can provide to get some expert guidance on this end. I just want to make sure that the technician's diagnosis and the $3K solution is correct.

any help will be appreciated. - thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-06, 06:23 AM
I have seen compressors totally destroyed by dirty coils. Coils must be kept clean in order to transfer heat. If you cover the radiator on your car with mud and take it for a ride, I can guarantee you'll have problems a few miles down the road.

As for the price, that's a different matter depending on what is being replaced, the brand, the city where you live, etc.

If in doubt, get another opinion.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-06, 11:08 AM
Wink

Is there any other indication I can provide to get some expert guidance on this end. I just want to make sure that the technician's diagnosis and the $3K solution is correct.
When the unit is switched on... it produces a slight BEEPING sound...
Do you know electric?? can you use a meter??
Just what is a beeping noise???
Do you have 220 at the unit? Does the contactor pull in? Does the condenser fan run??
After having a cursory look at the outside unit (compressor?) of our AC unit, he suggested that it was "choked" with mud and he suggested replacing it will cost $2800.
$2800 for what?????? Did he test the compressor with gauges ? The amps ok ? All capacitors OK??
You can clean the condenser coil with a water hose. From the inside out

ED