ac contactor not pulling in

Old 07-22-06, 02:02 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ac contactor not pulling in

My ac unit stopped working. replaced the capacitor, contactor relay and wire end plugs. still not coming on. i hear it click when the tstat is switched on then tries to start after delay. if i hold down the contactor everything works.
any advice?

Old 07-22-06, 03:17 PM
You need to use a volt meter and confirm whether or not you have 24v at the contactor coil on a call for cooling. If not trace back the low voltage wiring till you find where you're losing it. If you do have 24v then your contactor is bad.

Old 07-22-06, 03:50 PM
T
the contactor is brand new. i think i am getting 24v. it is hard to reach the terminals. the one reading i took had 21v. i guess that was normal.

Old 07-22-06, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

[QUOTEwhen the tstat is switched on then tries to start after delay][/QUOTE]
Do you have a time delay there in the 24V wire to the contactor. You have to read the 24V on the two small wires at the contactor.

ED

Old 07-22-06, 04:57 PM
T
yes i have a delay before the contactor. i have three wires (bl,bk,y)on the timer. i also have a defrost relay(brand new), contactor(brand new), hard start spp6 capacitor(brand new), dual run capacitor(brand new), heat cool relay(can't find replacement) and a circuit board.

initially i changed the hard start and it worked. i turned off at the tstat due to a storm and it would not restart afterwards.
changed some wire spades it worked again. another storm came through so i turned off at tsat and it would not restart.
if i hold the contactor in it will run but if i let go it turns off.
question: if i hold in the contactor and it works, does this mean the hard start and dual run capacitors are working?
any help appreciated

Old 07-22-06, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

if i hold in the contactor and it works, does this mean the hard start and dual run capacitors are working?
Yes. --- Now with a meter you have to find out why you dont get 24V to it.

ED

Old 07-23-06, 07:30 AM
T
i have three blue wires, one black wire on one side of the coil and one yellow on the other side of coil. the blues are twisted together. the bl and bk are on top of coil, y on bottom of coil.
will a bad coil show any physical signs (burnt, discolored, etc)?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: