Help: A/C is sutting down

Old 07-22-06, 05:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help: A/C is sutting down

Hello, New member here.
I have a Central HVAC unit that is mounted on our roof .Today it shut down after it had been running for aprox 6 Hrs. We live in the San Fernando Valley, which is a Los Angeles suberb, and currently it's 103' outside. The unit has shut down in the past when the outside Temp gets up around 100' or more,but today it did one better. After it shut down, I waited about 45 Min. and turned the unit back on. When I turned it on I could hear the compressor kick in, so I knew it was cooling. I was outside in the Garage when I heard a hissing sound,like air being let out of a tire. At first I thought it was one of my Neighbors working in his garage but then I realized it was coming from the A/C unit on the roof. I went in the house and I could feel warm air coming out of the vent and there was a DEEP humming sound that was reverberating through the roof. I turned the unit off and havn't touched it since. This all happened after the unit was only running for about 20 min. A similar thing happened about 7 years ago with the this unit and I had A Tech come out and I think he said he replaced a Capicitor, if that sounds right. Anyway, I'm hoping that the Tech on your site can guide me in the right direction.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-06, 05:25 PM
You say the compressor "Kicks on" but does the fan kick on?
The humming noise might be the fan trying to come on, if so it could be the motor out or the cap but you should have it checked out to make sure.

Good Luck

Old 07-22-06, 05:29 PM
Sorry about that, Yes the fan is coming on.

Old 07-22-06, 06:26 PM
Wink

[QUOTE] I was outside in the Garage when I heard a hissing sound,like air being let out of a tire. At first I thought it was one of my Neighbors working in his garage but then I realized it was coming from the A/C unit on the roof.[/QUOT
Just call a hvac tech sounds like it has a leak. Dont try and run it .You can just run the in door fan.

ED