Portable ac exhaust with no windows??

Old 07-24-06, 04:30 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Portable ac exhaust with no windows??

I have a windowless room that is in desperate need of cooling. The only way I can see to cool it is by getting a portable air conditioner.

My problem is where I can exhaust the hot air to. The only solution I can think of is by making the hot air exhaust under my door to the bathroom where there is an extractor fan that could help dissapate the heat. I have a one inch gap under the door to my bathroom and I was wondering if it would be possible and a good idea to try and get the hose to exhaust under that door? The normal hose width is around 5 inches I think so I would need to squeez the hose down to around one inch and tuck it under the door.

Would this be a problem? Or would it cause the bathroom to be unbearably hot? My room isn't a very large room, so the ac wouldn't be doing that much work.

I really have no idea so I'd appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-06, 09:29 AM
No, do not try to make the large exhaust hose fit under a 1" opening!

Also, yes, the bathroom may become hot, and also humid. So anotherword, Not a good ideal.

Do you have A/C in the home itself?

Old 07-24-06, 04:51 PM
H
Thanks for your reply Jay11J.

I have no ac in the apartment at all. Would it not be ok to squeeze it under the door to make it fit? It wouldn't be making the hose opening any smaller, just making it from a 5' circle to a much longer 1' oval. So the exhaust area should stay the same, but it would all depend on the flexibility of the hose.

I really can't see any other option, and the room gets pretty damn hot with my computer running and all my other electronics.

Old 07-24-06, 05:19 PM
Most of these hose I've seen don't flex down much at all. Also, even you flaten it to an oval, is less opening than a full 5" opening.

What is the near by room with a window? I would put a window unit in that room, and put a fan in the hall way to push to cool air into this room. Also, portable room a/c don't cool that well. I've seen more than enough come back to the store cuz of this.

Old 07-24-06, 07:39 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Your best bet would be to install a mini-split. Requires a small hole for lineset, condensate & electrical and that's it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: