Goodman a/c equipment

Old 07-26-06, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman a/c equipment

I have a contractor that wants to use goodman equipment, he said it was quality stuff, is that true?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-06, 04:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Goodman

I have no heartache with Goodman equipment as long as it is installed right. I installed one in my own home 15+ years ago and have had ZERO trouble with it. Installation is 95% of the job.

Old 07-26-06, 04:23 PM
They have come a very long way from where they used to be. I believe they carry a 10 year warranty now. Goodman will not rank up with Trane but if sized properly for your home, installed properly, and maintained it will give you many years of good service.

What gives Goodman a blackeye in our industry is they allow them to be sold to anyone that wants to buy them, so in turn you get a lot of hacks installing them

Make sure they do a "Manual J" heat load/loss calculation on your home and go ahead and get a couple more bids to compare.

Too add, I installed a Goodman in my own mothers house and it is very quiet and cools great.

Old 07-26-06, 05:10 PM
is Goodman the only brand he sells? if so i'd keep shopping. as stated Goodman will sell to ANYBODY....qualified or not.

Old 07-26-06, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
88Formula

I think what we are trying to say is: Forget about equipment brand & think about who is going to install it. I have always said I'd rather have the cheapest equipment installed by the best installer than the "best" equipment with a crappy installation.

Old 07-26-06, 05:27 PM
C
While I agree that I'd take a Goodman installed properly over anything installed improperly, I would look for something else.

We find freon leaks very common in Goodman. I checked 2 today that are less than 3 years old and both have leaks in the evaporator. Coils are under warranty but they will pay a nice bill for my labor and materials. An extra $50.00 during installation could have bought them a much nicer unit.

Old 07-26-06, 06:14 PM
I Know 3 or 4 years ago they had problems with the drain pans cracking but I haven't had too many that sprung leaks. They also used to be notorious for the caps going bad but they seem to have staightened that out too.

Regardless you just have to be carefull who you hire to install a Goodman.

Old 07-26-06, 09:18 PM
S
I wouldn't consider Goodman a top quality brand. If it is installed properly it may last. Goodman units are typically less expensive than other brands. They lack all of the bells and whistles that other a/c units have. I would price around and find out if you could get something better for a comparable price. Better brands that you might look for include Trane, Carrier, Lennox, Rheem, even Payne. A condensing unit with an accumulator in it would be a good bet. This can protect you from a poor installation.

Old 07-29-06, 02:22 PM
H
Goodman

I had problems with getting parts for there ductless-splits

Last edited by HVACPIPEFITTER; 07-29-06 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-30-06, 09:14 AM
H
they are not as quiet as trane , carrier ect....If its going to be near a deck or patio think again