Does A/C capacitor control compressor in any way?

Old 07-27-06, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does A/C fan capacitor control compressor in any way?

Hello,

I have an outdoor unit (10 year-old Bryant model 561CJ036-D) in which the fan motor failed, most likely due to the capacitor failing. The unit ran without the fan for several hours till I discovered the house heating up.

I turned off the system for one hour and then, when I turned it on the juice, had to assist the fan to start up and run by turning it with a stick. The compressor, at the time I turned on the juice, sounded like it labored for about 3 seconds and apparently turned off.

So, after the startup, the fan turns, if started by "hand" but there is no cooling. Would the capacitor that handles the fan's start also handle the compressor start?

Or did I cook something earlier in the day while the unit was on without the fan running?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by gscottm; 07-27-06 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-06, 05:26 PM
Not sure about your particular unit but it is pretty common to have a dual capacitor that runs both the condensor fan and compressor. If that is what you have (simply trace wiring from compressor and fan motor) replace the dual capacitor. If your fan still will not start without your assistance with the stick, you will have to also replace the condensor fan motor.

Old 07-27-06, 06:24 PM
Bingo!

I was wondering if the capacitor also jump started the compressor.

I have a different unit next to it that only has the fan leads connected to the capacitor. That was why I was puzzled.

Anyway, it 81 on its way down. Thanks again.

Last edited by Forums; 08-11-06 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-28-06, 03:49 PM
well..

unless your unit next to is is 3 phase.. yes you have a compressor run capacitor.

Old 07-28-06, 04:12 PM
forgot

also no this capacitor does not affect your unit starting, hence the term RUN capacitor, now your unit may have an aftermarket START capacitor installed, if so it would either
a> be black with a small capacitor between its two poles with a small black sqaure box <relay> interconnected< relay feeds start cap which boosts run cap, then takes it our of the loop>
or
b> look like a big "kit" a round capacitor with a smaller square box mounted to it < your relay> which goes by many different names but is quicker and easier for some techs to install due to only being two wires, one to hermetic and other to common on run capacitor..

your unit the bryant 561, which I have installed ALOT, never came with an oem start capacitor.. the 561 one was your basic 10 seer condenser with a compressor, fan motor, dual run capacitor and contactor...