A/C blower sucking water from drip pan

Old 07-28-06, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A/C blower sucking water from drip pan

Hi,
I've searched the forums and read many great posts, but still don't have an exact answer.

Here's my situation:

I live in a mobile home. My a-coil is situated on top of my blower. Full open access to both. From the blower "compartment," I can see underneath the A-coil.

Lived here for 5 years, bought it brand new. Didn't have the following problem until recently. Drain pipe is clear.

Water is being sucked from the "inside lip" of the drain pan (only viewable from under the A-coil) into the blower compartment and consequently onto the capacitor which we had to replace once already.

With the bottom door removed or slightly ajar, this suction does not happen. Cleaned the filters and even bought some non-foaming A-coil cleaner to clean the fins. Carefully used a toothbrush to clean the fins. Put new filters (the ones that came with the unit are the metal mesh type which I find have way too many "holes" in it to filter anything).

Problem still exists. Is it just that the non-foaming cleanser hasn't finished cleansing yet? Or is there another problem.

I assumed that the problem existed because the fins may have been dirty and was sucking air from wherever possible (in this case, the drip pan). Also you can visibly see the water in the drain pan being sucked under the a-coil when the bottom door is put in place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dawn

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-06, 05:41 AM
sounds like you have dirt compaction inside the coil fins. Lets try cleaning again, what type of coil cleaner are you using? You may have to do some duct surgery/install a water catch pan and use a foaming rinse req:d type coil cleaner. The foaming rinseables are typically much stronger than the nonrinse a-coil cleaners, the problem on acoils is to catch the huge volume of water req:d to rinse and the duct surgery req:d to access from the top side on downflow furnaces.

Old 07-29-06, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the reply Former Member

The cleaner I used was: CMD Coil Master Non-Foaming Evaporator Coil Cleaner (green, smells like Windex). I mixed a 3:1 solution. Can I use undiluted cleaner?

Not exactly sure what you mean by "duct surgery." I can easily access the A-coil to pour water, etc.

Another question: I didn't notice until last night, but when cleaning, I inadvertently moved a very small piece of metal from where the water flows from under the A-coil. Was that metal some sort of water flow control???

Thanks!
Dawn

Last edited by Forums; 08-11-06 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 08:20 AM
Wink

I inadvertently moved a very small piece of metal from where the water flows from under the A-coil. Was that metal some sort of water flow control???
Sure could be. Even if you put it back. Anytime a blower sucks the air through the AC coil always put a P trap on the drain line. This will stop the water overflow.

ED

Old 07-29-06, 08:26 AM
awh you may have answered your own question some coils do use a diverter plate at the base reinstall that puppy and you should be good to go but go ahead and do another cleaning since you have to go back in, you are in luck if both sides of your coil are easily accessible, give it a good cleaning (after shutting off all electrical power) and put the diverter plate back in. See what you have then. Good Luck

Old 07-29-06, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the replies Ed and Former Member

The piece I was referring to seems to be bent pretty badly (very thin metal, easily distorted). Is there something that can replace it? Or did I just royally mess it up?

Also, the question about full strength cleaner. Can I use it full strength?

Last edited by Forums; 08-11-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 08:38 AM
Wink

Try and put it back . But for sure put a P trap on the drain line there at the coil.
With the bottom door removed or slightly ajar, this suction does not happen.
Put the trap on it . just make it out of 90oL if you have to.

ED

Old 07-29-06, 01:24 PM
Okay, I cannot replace the little metal piece. It is too mangled and crushed (like aluminum foil would get). This piece was VERY small, made of something like aluminum, and is now wedged. The piece does not come out/off in one section to begin with. It seems like it was attached to something on one end...or maybe just rust.

Is there anything else that I can do to remedy this? Or can I get those little plates as replacements?

Ed, thanks for the reply, but I don't see how putting a P trap would work in this situation. The drip pan is in the open, no suction from outside. It worked great without one for 5 years. Also, to me, a P trap would only collect the gunk that would build up.

Old 07-29-06, 02:08 PM
Wink

It dont cost that much for 4- 90oL. or 1 -90o and 2 -45o . That metal could be what made it work before Now anytime you suck the air over a coil it will hold the water in and run over . Some codes now call for the P trap with a overflow switch in them .

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 07-29-06 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 06:21 AM
I know this thread is old but thought I'd chime in for future visitors. I had this same issue and the solution turned out to be the Ptrap. Definately needs a Ptrap. Without that it sucks damp air from outside, causes even more moisture and water in pan, but also allows the fan to suck water / mist into the duct. I had a moisture problem in the house, and water from unit dripping everywhere, and worked on it for months. In the end the solution was simply the P trap. Just blow it out once a year to be sure it doesn't clog if you are worried about that.