Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bad Outdoor Fan or Capacitor or ??

08-01-06, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Bad Outdoor Fan or Capacitor or ??

THE PROBLEM: I have a 15 year old York AC system. It's been 95+ for several days outside, the system running often and well. But tonite it stopped cooling, just blowing warm air. Went outside and the fan was stopped. Started the fan with a stick and it ran for 10-15 minutes, then shut off; in that period, no warm air was being "fanned away" by the outdoor unit, only normal ambient air. Also the refrigerent line/from to the outdoor unit was warm and even when the fan ran for 10-15 minutes, still warm air blowing inside the house. I tried this same thing again about 30 minutes later, with same result: fan runs for 10-15 minutes, shuts down, etc. On both occasions the motor was very hot.

QUESTIONS: (1) Is it possible that only the capacitor needs to be replaced, or the fact that the motor ran and became hot and then shut down means that the motor most likely has to be replaced -- or could it be something else (like low freon, or a bad compressor, or bad contactor, etc) ? (2) With the refrigerent line being warm, does this mean that it also needs freon -- or would the line remain warm just because the capacitor or motor wasn't working?

It's miserably hot inside, 85 degrees and humid, at 12 midnite. THANKS FOR ANY QUICK RESPONSES.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-02-06, 02:12 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Is it hot to the touch meaning as soon as you touch the motor you pull away.The motor is over heating and needs to be replaced.Its a good idea to replace the capacitor as well.You could try giving the fan oil with either 3 in 1 oil or WD-40 but your only on borrowed time.

08-02-06, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Thanks for the reply LexM...
I called an HVAC company that gets high ratings for price and quality in our area. They said that they could replace the motor with a GE motor, but the GE motor will vibrate alot of York ACs and on an old unit like ours the additional vibration could add to the risk of loose connections, leaks, etc. He said he'd put in the GE if we want it, but he strongly recommended using the motor model that York put in originally (he is NOT a York dealer, so he's not trying to sell York products). The York distributorship is 75 miles away, so they are shipping it to him UPS. The motor replacement will include the capacitor replacement. I was quoted a price of about $400 for parts, travel & labor. Any thoughts on all of this???

MO

08-02-06, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Did the hvac guy look at your unit??????
Started the fan with a stick and it ran for 10-15 minutes, then shut off; in that period, no warm air was being "fanned away" by the outdoor unit, only normal ambient air. Also the refrigerent line/from to the outdoor unit was warm and even when the fan ran for 10-15 minutes, still warm air blowing inside the house.
First here ,dont sound like the compresor was running????????
Can be the big capacitor for the fan and compressor is what you need ,check it out. Dont use a WD 40 oil or the old 3 in one oil in the motor. Only a #10 oil or 3 in one has a oil now just for motors. Dont use the other one.
You might get the hvac guy to look at it. Cap, fan, low freon. bad compressor???????????

ED

08-02-06, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Bad Outdoor Fan

Posted By: eric Thanks for the reply LexM...
I called an HVAC company that gets high ratings for price and quality in our area. They said that they could replace the motor with a GE motor, but the GE motor will vibrate alot of York ACs and on an old unit like ours the additional vibration could add to the risk of loose connections, leaks, etc. He said he'd put in the GE if we want it, but he strongly recommended using the motor model that York put in originally (he is NOT a York dealer, so he's not trying to sell York products). The York distributorship is 75 miles away, so they are shipping it to him UPS. The motor replacement will include the capacitor replacement. I was quoted a price of about $400 for parts, travel & labor. Any thoughts on all of this???

Hi Eric, I don't know but $400 seem to high for me. I had a similar issue last week. My blower motor inside my furnace just stopped working, and when I helped turning the fan it will run for 10-15 mins and will stopped again. First I replaced the capacitor but didn't help so I got some good advices from D-I-Y pro's to replace the motor. I took the motor out and took it to a HVAC parts/supply and they matched the model. While I got the motor housing and the blade out, went ahead and cleaned it out the installed the new motor. My AC is now working great and seem like blowing little more air and only cost me $80 for the motor. Is there any HVAC supplier close by you?

Search this Thread