Blower fan will not turn off

Old 08-03-06, 06:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Blower fan will not turn off

I live in Chicago and have had my A/C running the last few days during the heat wave. Since it was so hot, I didn't think it was strange that my A/C was constantly running. Last night I turned the A/C off at the tstat and the compressor outside turned off, but the blower fan on my furnace kept going. It is an American Standard 5000. I turned the tstat off, turned the fan on auto, also turn it to on, also removed batteries, also set temp beyond what should have turned things off. Tried dong anything at the tstat. Still, the blower keeps going. Again, the outside compressor turned off, but inside fan keeps going. Any ideas what might be the problem? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-06, 06:37 AM
go to your furnace remove the service panel and pull loose the green wire from the furnace board panel, now if your blower continues to run after that, replace the blower relay

Old 08-03-06, 06:49 AM
I have read some other posts and there have been a few that say to remove the green wire on the tstat. If the fan shuts off, the tstat may be the problem. Should I do that first before removing anything on the furnace? Thanks.

Old 08-03-06, 07:01 AM
Wink

If thats if'e for you pull the G wire off at the stat and see if it stops. Or how old is the unit ? could just hit the side of the blower unit hard with your hand and see if it stops. If so its the blower relay.

ED

Old 08-03-06, 07:11 AM
OK, I disconnected the green on the tstat and that did not work. My unit is about 12 years old ( the previous owner had it installed so I dont have an exact date, but this should be close). For the next step, should I hit the blower or pull the green from the panel? If I hit it, where do I hit it as the blower must be incased inside the furnace steel box. thanks.

Old 08-03-06, 07:34 AM
LOL Ed you have to be careful givin away trade secrets like that, you know there is a certain spot to hit and a certain amount of force to be used! If you let that info out its all over with man ssshhhh. Mr Hill (Hank) pull the green wire at the furnace board if the blower continues to run hit the furnace with a large sledgehammer repeatedly real hard until the stupid blower stops OK THATS A JOKE PLEASE DONT DO THAT If you want to fix it, then install a new blower relay and leave the sledge in the garden shed LOL haha Former Member made a funny

Last edited by Forums; 08-11-06 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-03-06, 07:45 AM
I opened the service panel. There is a metal box with the screws at the bottom where the wires from the thermostat are screwed into. The green wire (along with the others) comes in from the thermostat and attaches to this. I disconnected this and it is still running. However, where the green thermostat wire attach, there seems to be another green wire coming out from behind this that then goes into another board which is cream colored. This board has the red light on it. It is from Emerson Electric and model number 50E47-060. Is this where I should be disconnecting the green wire? If I did right by where I already disconnected, where is the relay I need to replace? Thanks.

Old 08-03-06, 08:14 AM
hank unless you happen to have a intact wiring diagram on the back of your service panel, you will probably have to do some panel removal to access the blower wiring and simply trace the wiring back from the blower motor backwards to see where it gets power from, somewhere you will see a nice little box that it ties into, this box will have some smaller wires that tie into it (typically) what happens is the manufacturers use the relays because they are real cheap they simply use 24 volts to pull in the relay and send power to the blower, if they used the 240 volt contactors they would be real robust and costly its all about the dollar man. Anyway what typically happens is that the cheap little relays will stick closed and the silly blower just keeps running and that is most likely your problem also. A lot of the units that are out there do not have the wiring diagrams so a lot of times techs will have to simply trace the wiring they probably know better what to look for it may take you a spell to find the right part. Good Luck

Old 08-03-06, 09:13 AM
I think I found the relay inside the metal box. After removing the panel that covers the fan, there is a safety switch the turns off the blower if the panel is removed. With this panel off, I was able to push in on this switch to confirm that the blower is still blowing uncontrollably on. Releasing this button, I then moved the little metal "flappy" thing in what I think is the relay away from the side it was touching. I push the safety button again and the blower fan does not turn on. So this must be it, right? If so, where do I go to buy one of these? Also, is this something I need to turn the power off on before installing? Thanks.

Old 08-03-06, 09:50 AM
relay should be a black plastic box not sure what this flappy thing is? the actual contacts are sealed inside the box not exposed and YES always turn off and lock out all power sources before servicing any type of electrical device. Is this a split system? or maybe Former Member misunderstood did you take the little black plastic box apart and the flappy thing was inside? anyway you can buy a universal type relay at any HVAC supply house just take this one with you so voltages and connections are sure to match up keep in mind all the thing does is pull in a set of contacts not really anything that should cost more than a few dollars even in the windy city

Last edited by Forums; 08-11-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-03-06, 10:38 AM
Whoa, the part I called American Standard on, I finally found a supply house that had it and it is $90.00 (list $120.00). I must be looking at something different. American Standard (now Trane I guess) has this part as RLY01172. Can anyone verify if this is the part I should be looking for, or is there another replay that I am missing. Is there a way I can post a picture of what I see in this forum for you to see also. Or perhaps I can post this on a website I have and you can look at it there. Le me know what works for you. Mine seems to have 2 of these metal "flappy" things that I assume are the contacts. There is a black plastic top where about 7 wires fit into the 7 contacts. This isn't enclosed. Thanks.

Old 08-03-06, 11:44 AM
oh well that does sound like a relay number probably a time delay thing maybe does a couple different things. IS THIS WHERE THE BLOWER WIRING LEADS TO??

Old 08-03-06, 12:57 PM
Wink

Might see if Johnstone supply have them and if you can buy from them. .

ED

Old 10-14-12, 02:59 PM
Blower fan wouldn't turn off

Thanks to all with this info. My blower fan for the heater/AC wouldn't turn off. My first thought was maybe if I turn off all the power it would shut off - NOT!
So after having to reset all the clocks in the house I googled what to do. I really did not look forward to finding the green wire and disconnecting it. One or two people suggested hitting the side of the furnace. I have to tell you I didn't think that would do it but sure enough, I slapped the side of the furnace about as hard as I would have spanked my 11 year old on the butt and it immediately turned off. What's more I turned the heater back on and waited for it to shut off automatically and it did.
This saved me an expensive service call. Hopefully it will hold out for a while until I need to have the relay replaced.
(65 Year old gramma)

Old 10-14-12, 06:17 PM
If you have to ask if the power needs to be shut off to work on electrical it sounds like your not qualified to do the work, why not call a proffesional and have them repaire the system and service it while they are there as well just my 2 cents