Disconnect Switch

Old 08-04-06, 06:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Disconnect Switch

Okay, here's a couple of dumb questions

I think we took a major power surge hit last night & when I got home the A/C was not running. The inside fan is circulating, but the outdoor central A/C unit was doing nothing. I checked the inside C/B and recylced it. Fan inside still blows, but A/C is not working.

I read a few posts here, and decided the disconnect switch is the next logical step.
  1. Should I turn off the main C/B in the house or just the C/B for the A/C?
  2. The position of the disconnect switch outside is in the down position - Is that the "off" position?

Thanks much in advance.

Old 08-04-06, 06:30 AM
Quote: # The position of the disconnect switch outside is in the down position - Is that the "off" position?

could be, but maybe not, flip that puppy the other way and give it a try why dont you?

Old 08-04-06, 06:33 AM
Mine faces down when it is off...
But if it is simply a switch, and not a breaker, then the switch would have to be turned off by someONE and not someTHING.

There are several types of disconnects used that I have seen.
Some have fuses.
Some are breakers
Some are just switches.

Old 08-04-06, 07:35 AM
Thanks, I'm assuming it's a switch. I just don't want to get electrocuted

I would think it would be safe if I turned the main breaker off to the house and then go out and recycle the disconnect switch.

Old 08-04-06, 08:03 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it is a switch type, then it is supposed to be down when in the off position (by NEC requirement). All vertically operating disconnects (which switches are included as) are to be off in the down position. Just look at a light switch that has off and on actually on the switch. If you turn it upside down it says NO.

If it is a breaker type, the same thing and if it is a breaker type (not just one that looks like a breaker but really isn't) then if the power cycled on and off somewhat quickly, then the breaker may have tripped when the compressor tried to start with too high of a head pressure.

Or maybe a neighbor heard it making alot of noise and shut it down for you.

Old 08-13-06, 01:29 PM
Hi just thought I'd follow up & let you know what transpired. As it turns out, it was a 'pull-out' fuse. Two 40 amp fuses; I didn't have a tester, so I just replaced them. Also the reset switch on the unit itself needed resetting. Hit that, and it started for a few seconds and shut off again. My husband replaced the switch, as he noticed it was broken. Same thing, came on for a few seconds and then shut off again. We still don't know what the problem is.

Didn't want to put anymore $$ into it,as we are scheduled to get a new HVAC system installed in a week. Thank goodness the weather has been semi-tolerable lately. Thanks for all your help folks.

Old 08-13-06, 01:34 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up. It's always nice to hear how things turn out.

Since you already have a tech bearing gifts on the way, I wouldn't bother with the old one either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: