noisy a/c refrigerant lines

Old 08-05-06, 06:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
noisy a/c refrigerant lines

I am so frustrated with my a/c because it is noisy outside but it is also noise and vibrating in the wall. The a/c is located outside the kitchen window and when I'm watching tv I have to turn it up when the a/c comes on - it is that loud! I have actually hit the wall and it quieted down. I'm trying to find a way to fix this problem without tearing the wall apart. Do you have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-06, 06:31 PM
Probably fix the vibration in the exterior unit and it will not transfer the noise into the piping inside the wall. How long has it been making the excess noise? since it was new or since you moved in a year ago or what?

Old 08-05-06, 07:38 PM
It's actually been noisy since we moved in (almost 6 years) but has gotten noisier since the compressor was replaced 2 years ago - same compressor because was under warranty. I've looked outside to see how I can make it quieter - put the little cushions under the feet - that didn't really make much of a change - I can put my hand on the wall inside the house and feel the vibration. We had it serviced a couple of months ago and the technician just said we have a noisy unit but I don't see why it should be vibrating the wall.

Old 08-05-06, 08:19 PM
Noisy unit from factory hmmm do you mind mentioning a brand name? No way I would tear out the wall, the piping inside is not the problem. Some of the old reciprocating type compressors were a bit noisy but most would not vibrate the wall unless they were abused by being seriously overcharged or some other problem. You might consider having someone else stop in and have a look to see if they can determine why the unit is so noisy. Not a normal thing even on the ElCheapo units. I assume you had the original installers do the compressor changeout just makes you wonder if they may have created the problem and then recreated it somehow?? not saying that just thinking out loud I quess.

Old 08-06-06, 09:29 AM
The brand is a Rudd....the compressor was actually changed out by a different company because the original installer was not available in July for 2 weeks (the hottest month in AZ). So you are saying it might be overcharged meaning too much freon?