Compressor problem

Old 08-06-06, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor problem

I have a split type A/C. The problem is when I turn it on it works fine (indoor unit fan runs blowing cold air, outdoor unit fan and compressor run) for about 10 minutes then the compressor stops but the outdoor&indoor unit fan are still running.

After about 30 minutes the compressor start running again and everything seems fine, but just for 5 minutes the compressor stops again and next 30 minutes it starts and then the symptom repeats forever...

everything works fine for 5 minutes --> compressor stops for 30 minutes --> everything works fine for 5 minutes --> compressor stops for 30 minutes...and so on...

I supposed that the compressor is overheat. Does anyone know what seems to be the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-06, 08:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have the outdoor filters ever been cleaned.What about indoors.Is the coil clean.those can cause it.

Old 08-06-06, 09:23 AM
Wink

You can have a low cut out in the unit that will shut it down? Is the big copper line cold and wet and the small copper line warm to hot as it goes into the condenser unit outside???? You can also amp out the compressor as it runs.

ED

Old 08-06-06, 09:30 AM
Thanks for a reply.

Yes, Everything is clean. This problem arises after the unit has been working fine for several years, then one day the air from the indoor unit was not cool. The service guy told me that the refrigerant was low and he added it to normal, since then I got this problem (about 2 months until now).

Old 08-06-06, 09:42 AM
Qutoe: since then I got this problem (about 2 months until now).

Sounds suspiciously like a overcharge and the unit is kickin out on high head. Might want to go ahead and clean the condensor coils again just to make sure. Now of course if he really had to add refrigerant we may have a good size leak and it is kickin out on low pressure either way if the coils are clean we may require the assistance of a certified tech. Not sure we need the same one back or not though lol

Old 08-06-06, 07:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Another cause that will cause a high head pressure is the condenser fan not spinning fast enough or not up to speed so the compresser is overheating cause not enough heat is being removed.

Old 08-07-06, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Though I can't figure out yet what the problem is. But I appreciate all your helps here.

Old 08-07-06, 12:59 PM
Wink

For that short time the AC does run. At the outdoor unit feel the big copper line should be cold and wet. Small copper line warm to hot. if your low on freon again it dont get back to the compressor to cool it down. This can make it kick off and ride trhe klixon . Also check Amp draw on compressor.

ED