One system or two

Old 08-09-06, 10:23 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One system or two

My house is a saltbox with two sections, the main house (34X28) and a attached garage with two stories(22X20) above. The roof lines cross but not the attic space. If I want to install central air do I need two systems or is there a way for one system to feed both sides?

Old 08-09-06, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most of the time when you have more than one story it's best to use 2 seperate units anyway. If the contractor/hvac designer knows what they are doing a single unit can be properly balaced to do the job. But with two systems it's easier to control the seperate floors and if by chance one goes out you will have another area to get relief untill the other is repaired.

Whether or not you can get ducting between the two structures is hard to tell without seeing it. You would benefit from getting at least 3 quotes and make sure they each do a heat load/loss calculation on your home to properly size the systems

Old 08-09-06, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say go with just one for that sq ft. Just make sure the hvac guy that does the duct work knows what he is doing. So it works right for you. Get 3 bids for this job and make sure they run a heat loss and AC load on the home.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: