Fair price to replace evaporator coil?

Old 08-10-06, 08:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fair price to replace evaporator coil?

I have received a quote to replace the indoor evaporator coil on my central air for $1,280. The a/c is not cooling very well in this 100+ heat wave we’ve been having. I have an 8 y/o Ruud 10 seer compressor outside. The furnace is also 8 y/o and in the garage, and they will have to pull out the furnace to replace the evaporator coil. Is that a fair price? It sounds high to me. The a/c repairman told me the expansion valve on the coil is sticking, and the coil is very old, probably the original one when the house was built 30 years ago. Also, the coil is a 3 ton coil, and the a/c unit is 3 ˝ ton. He said the heat and air units could last another 10 years, and I should just replace the coil, with a 4 ton Trace coil. If I don’t replace the coil, he says it will cause the a/c unit to wear out much sooner than it should. It just seems like an awfully high price just to replace the coil.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-06, 08:46 AM
Wink

Cant see the job .Its hard to say thats high or not. Do you think you will stay in the home for 10 years more Id do this
If you spend that kind of $$$$ now and you say can be 30 years old AC furnace 8 years old. if you dont have a 90% furnace iId put a new one in at this time. On the AC go up to a SEER of 14 to 15 . Make sure the coil and the condenser match.

ED

Old 08-10-06, 10:12 AM
Don't know the job or your area but I think it is a very fair price for a 4-ton coil if the work is done in a profesional manner.