Windows let in too much heat in apartment

Old 08-12-06, 08:48 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows let in too much heat in apartment

I have a 1286 sq ft appartment in south florida. Yesterday it was 98 degrees outside and my appartment would not get below 80 degrees the whole day. The unit was running as long as i am awake but it can't cool the house.

I think the problem is that the house has huge windows and they are made of thin, untinted glass. All the heat just pours right in through them. The two small rooms have 2 windows, the living room has a big sliding glass door, and the master bedroom has a larger window.

My electric bill is very high and i feel like i am running the unit for nothing. No matter how much cold air comes out, the heat coming in through the windows just cancels it out.

Even at night when it gets down to 77-80 degrees, the coolest the house gets is 75. That's how non insulated the windows are.

Obviously, i cannot add tint to the windows (on 2nd floor) and the landlord will not do it or put in heat reflecting windows. So am i SOL in the summer months? It is very warm in the house even with all the ceiling fans running and the AC.

Old 08-12-06, 09:40 PM
You could have a service technician check to see it your unit is working correctly. BUT, if the place never really was cool, the problem is that the contractor/builder did not size the unit correctly based on the heat gain calculations. Large window areas have to be considered in the sizing calculations.

The things you could do now: Window tint film is applied to the INSIDE of the windows, and is quite helpful for windows which have direct south and/or west exposure. Roman shades, or heavy draperies, can provide some insulation value if you are willing to sacrifice the light.

Old 08-12-06, 09:47 PM
S
The air coming out of the vents is around 57 degrees. The unit i think is a 1.5 ton (it is like 3 feet tall and 1 foot deep and wide) Red T Coil handler. It may be undersized for my house because it doesn't give too much air to the far away bedroom, but it cools the house down when it is not hot outside.

How much would inside window tint cost? I don't know if i am allowed to do it either.

Old 08-13-06, 09:04 AM
Window tint could run 50 cents per square foot, or something like that. It is easily removable, so that should not be an issue for the landlord. You do want to get the type that is listed as low-e . That is what will benefit you the most. You do not want the mirror-finish type. These are more for privacy than insulation, and also could irritate the neighbors and the landlord.

Old 08-13-06, 09:10 AM
S
We would be foolhardy to try and size your apartment sight unseen.....too many variables, like the outside temp, all the glass, insulation, etc. I will go out on a limb and say that 1 tons may be too small, but then you are guessing about that number....so this is not getting us anywhere! The condensing unit should have the BTU listing on the data plate. Divide BTU by 12,000 and you have tons.

The only thing that could be done to improve your situation, besides the insulation items mentioned before, would be to have you landlord have the system inspected, repaired if necessary, have a load calculation done, and if necessary install a larger system.

Old 08-13-06, 10:16 AM
J
Northeast winter solution

Here in the northeast we obviously have the opposite problem, keep the heat IN in the winter.

We use heat shrink window wrap; it is a clear plastic that one tapes with double-sided tape to the trim around the window, or to the frame that actually holds the glass [if you want to be able to open the windows sometimes]. You use a hairdryer to shrink the stuff to a nice tight fit, and it's invisible.

The only problem is that the double sided tape can be difficult to remove from vinyl frames.

You might want to try some in concert with the low-e film.

Old 08-13-06, 01:22 PM
D
jhomeowner-

would that work in places where it's super hot? Is it designed to keep the elements out? I have super old windows in my home in Az and until I replace them next year I would be thrilled to keep the heat out.
It's not like I'm opening those windows anyway.

Old 08-14-06, 09:39 PM
J
Haven't a clue.

Originally Posted by desertdweller
jhomeowner-

would that work in places where it's super hot? Is it designed to keep the elements out? I have super old windows in my home in Az and until I replace them next year I would be thrilled to keep the heat out.
It's not like I'm opening those windows anyway.
Sorry, I have no idea if it will work; theoretically, it should help. Insulation prevents the transfer of heat, in either direction. I hope that someone tries it and reports back.

This stuff used to be expensive when only 3M made it, but I think the patten must have expired because for the last few years I have been able to find cheaper brands. So, in your place I would give it a try.

Oddly enough, the only trouble I have had with the cheaper brands is that the TAPE isn't as good; the window wrap itself is fine.

Old 06-19-11, 11:04 AM
K
Same problem in Raleigh, here's what we did

We went to our favorite home improvement store and bought a couple 4'x8' sheets of 3/4inch polyfoam insulation board and asked that it be cut to the size of the window. Just make sure you measure on the inside of your sils. Want a sung fit. We had to cut it down to fit it in the car, but, we just duct taped it back together. We also had to shave the corners (just used a utility knife) because contractors can't make true corners. Then duct taped it into place. We could instantly tell the difference in noise reduction. May do the other window too.

Old 06-20-11, 11:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Five year old thread.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: