Another Heat Pump stopped working

Old 08-16-06, 08:03 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another Heat Pump stopped working

Basically everything seemed to be working when I got home. But at some point last night I noticed the air coming out of the vents was not cold. I checked the drain for the unit the basement, it was not draining, but it was not plugged up either. I turned off the power for 10 minutes, turned it back on and it still didn't work. There is no icing on the lines inside or outside. The unit/fan outside is not turning, it is making a humming noise. The fan turns if you push it, so it does not appear the fan motor is locked up. I have called for a technician, but I would like to know the possibilities of what the problem could be. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-16-06, 09:38 AM
G
If its humming...sounds like your getting 24v. Its probably gonna need a new capicator.

Old 08-16-06, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Like said the hmming can mean you are getting 24 V. From there can just be the contactor or the contactor points dont close . Then on to the capacitor. But you said the fan didnt run when you pushed it and calleing for cool so its back to the contactor. have you turned the breakers off and back on??

ED

Old 08-16-06, 01:57 PM
R
Another Heat Pump not working (fixed)

I was not there, but the technician came out and told my wife it was the condensor. Its working now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-16-06, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

That dont say what was wrong .Or what he charged you for. The condenser is the whole big thing outside .

ED

Old 08-16-06, 04:47 PM
T
Originally Posted by rwilson
Basically everything seemed to be working when I got home. But at some point last night I noticed the air coming out of the vents was not cold. I checked the drain for the unit the basement, it was not draining, but it was not plugged up either. I turned off the power for 10 minutes, turned it back on and it still didn't work. There is no icing on the lines inside or outside. The unit/fan outside is not turning, it is making a humming noise. The fan turns if you push it, so it does not appear the fan motor is locked up. I have called for a technician, but I would like to know the possibilities of what the problem could be. Thanks for any help.

Well the humming is the compressor running, which is a good thing. If the fan isnt turning with the power on, i would venture to say that its a electrical problem with the fan, perhaps a capacitor or the fan itself is grounded/shorted. Its probably shutting off on a low pressure/high pressure control after a short period of time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: