Trane XE1000 A/C - outside unit not operating

Old 08-17-06, 03:04 PM
lsdjr67
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Trane XE1000 A/C - outside unit not operating

OK, Outside unit not operating. Getting signal from Thermostat and contactor operates. When unit is turned on, Contactor clicks and stays closed but nothing happens. No fan operation, no compressor operation. Contactor was replaced last year. Took Capacitor in and had local heating and cooling supply test it. They say it checks out ok. It has no distortion and no signs of leakage.

Any ideas?

1 more thing. There were signs of a critter (probably mouse) having been in the unit. Nest and chewed foam wire wraps). I shut off power to the unit and inspected all the wires in the unit. No signs of chewed wires at all.

All suggestions appreciated.

Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-06, 03:41 PM
lsdjr67
Visiting Guest
Red face Oh Geez - Never mind

Well...embarasing but others may learn from my error I suppose. Borrowed a volt meter from a neighbor (Mine is missing) and found that while the unit was getting power it was not getting 220V (light bulb moment). Only registering under 25 volts. A quick trip to the fuse box (should have been my first check but the noise of the contactor clicking made me assume that wasn't an issue). Sure enough breaker had tripped. Cause: Wife says power browned out 2 nights ago while I was out. Wasn't enough to reset clocks and she hadn't thought of it since. Was a cool night and we failed to note the A/C not working until the temp rose the next day. The power tripping the Contactor must just be the themostat signal by itself.

Note to self...ALWAYS CHECK POWER SUPPLY 1ST WHEN TROUBLE SHOOTING INOPERATIVE ELECTRICAL DEVICES. DUH.

Old 08-20-06, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
save future headches..

not sure of type of stat or what not... dont think that model trane came with a hrd start kit... have a technician install a 5 minute delay on break timer( it just interupts one of the leads to the contactor) because it is very bad for your power to flash and compressor try to restart without letting the pressure equalize... can damage compressor bad!... that is what probably tripped breaker..