A/C Not Cool, Compressor or Electrical?

Old 08-20-06, 01:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Not Cool, Compressor or Electrical?

My outside Compressor/Fan unit (Goodman CP25-1EB) is not blowing out warm air when the Air Conditioner is on. The Compressor is not wanting to kick in, I hear it make a little bit of noise intermittently when the fan first comes on but it sounds like it trys to come on then stops altogether. Im wanting to know if this is what commonly happens when the compressor has went bad or if it sounds more like an electrical problem. BTW, I saw what appeared to be charred wire on one of two wires that appeared to come from the inside of the compressor because there was gel stuff around the spot the wire came from the bottom of the compressor (the wires were grey). There were three other wires on the side of the compressor (Red Yellow and Black) <-- im guessing those are the power on wires and the grey is some sort of sensor? But anyways, I cut the charred part out of the wire and spliced the wire back together, (It wasnt heavy gauge wire). If its suspected to be electrical I have a schematic of the unit that I could take a picture of and post (I dont understand the schematic).

Thanks in Advance ,
Chris

Old 08-20-06, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

BTW, I saw what appeared to be charred wire on one of two wires that appeared to come from the inside of the compressor because there was gel stuff around the spot the wire came from the bottom of the compressor.
Id say call a hvac tech to look at it is best here. is it like a oil. is there andy leak around where the wires go into the compressor.

ED

Old 08-20-06, 02:53 PM
C
Thanks for the quick reply, the Gel i was referring to was what appears to be the normal white sealant or Caulk. As to leaking i didnt notice any oil leaking, just a lil rust and white chalky stuff around the the area the wires come out. I could take a picture if it would help you in making a suggestion. Im trying to fix it for my dad before he has to call a tech if possible. The charring was closer to the splice connector then to the compressor. I also noticed that the wires felt kind of warm coming from the compressor, im not sure that is normal.

Old 08-20-06, 03:29 PM
Wink

About all I can say is check all stab on's that they are tight.When you put them on. You need a Amprobe to start and check the wires and what the draw is on that compressor and if its ok.

ED

Old 08-21-06, 09:48 AM
C
Alright, I looked up Amprobes because I dont know what they are and I got something similar to my Radioshack Multimeter. Would that work? Ill check the stab ons when I check the draw of the compressor (after I get word back from you on how or if I should do so with the equipment I have) . Is the compressor AC or DC? Thanks again for your insight.

Old 08-21-06, 01:14 PM
Wink

The compressor is ---A C 220V The meter you have could Ohm out the compressor. But not check on the Amps it takes to start or run the compressor, An Amprobe unit opens and clamps around the wire to the compressor or motor. it reads the Amp that way. They also can read the volts and can ohm out lines for you.They also cost a lot of $$$. If you dont know electric you would be better off calling a hvac tech here.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: