start capacitor

Old 08-21-06, 08:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy start capacitor

Hi, all,

I have a very old York A/C Central Conditioner (Model CL-42-6A, Serial B0-206957). Yesterday, there was no cold air from it. I noticed that the fan runs but the compressor did not. I opened the unit and found the start capacitor (I guess) spilled oil inside the compartment. I thought the capacitor is bad and took it to a parts store. They told me it is bad, but they cannot find a replacement because the label on the capacity is too old to read. I called York, they told me my system is 1960's, so they do not have the information for it. My problem is without the size of the start capacity, how can I find a capacitor.
For your reference, my run capacitor is 35 uf -370 vac, and my fan capacitor is 5 uf -370 v.

Please help me to figure out the size of the capacitor.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-06, 09:19 AM
Wink

For your reference, my run capacitor is 35 uf -370 vac, and my fan capacitor is 5 uf -370 v.

If you have them it could run. I take it you have another one and that would be on a start kit . check that out. just get a new one for the tons of the compressor AC.

ED

Old 08-21-06, 09:59 AM
Question

"If you have them it could run. I take it you have another one and that would be on a start kit . check that out. just get a new one for the tons of the compressor AC."

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I have
1. 35 uf -370 run capacitor for compressor (i think it is still good).
2. 5 uf -370 capacitor for the A/C fan (good)
3. start capacitor for compressor, which is bad. The label for this one is unreadable so I don't know its size.

Do you mean that I can use the tons of the compressors AC to find a correct start capacitor? How do I know the tons of the compressor?

Thanks a lot.

Phrank

Old 08-21-06, 12:44 PM
Wink

Whats the BTU of the AC you have 12,000 btu = 1 ton . Or like a 2.5 ton is 30,000btu.
A 3 ton would have 36,000 btu You can look at the model #### and like see if they have a 24 ---30 ---or 36 in them.

I take it that the #### you said

Model CL-42-6A, you have is a 3.5 ton unit.
42,000 btu AC. You can just get a whole new start kit.

ED

Old 08-21-06, 05:07 PM
Thanks, Ed.

Thank you, Ed. I baught a start capacitor (135-155 mf 320 v) based on the tons (3 and 1/2) of my compressor and put it on. It works great for now. I really appreciate your help.