New Central Air System - cost/freon

Old 08-22-06, 02:03 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Central Air System - cost/freon

I am about to pay $5,300.00 for a Lennox xc15 central ac unit. Wanted to know if you think this is a good price and should I be concerned about this being a Freon unit since freon is getting fazed out after 2010. Concerned that I will not be able to get freon and what the cost would be......

greatly appreciate any feedback!............THANKS!!!!

Old 08-22-06, 02:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Stay with the R22 freon . It will be made till 2030. I think some one is selling you a line. The other freon R410a that the are trying to come out with cost to much. Then if you have a leak all the rest has to be pulled out and all new put back in . After the leak is fixed.

ED

Old 08-22-06, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Freon

While the cost of R22 may go up, it is going to be available for many years to come. Ed is also right about the replacement stuff (R410a). It is not a pure refrigerant but a blend of refrigerants & will separate into it's components requiring a complete empting & refill of the system in the case of a leak where 50% or more of the refrigerant has been lost.

Old 08-22-06, 07:56 PM
S
Freon is simply a brand name for refrigerants.. I am familiar with Freon 12, Freon 22, Freon 114, etc.

The most common refrigerant for several years in home air conditioning has been refrigerant 22. This superceded R-12 which was considered very harmful to the environment. R-22 is also considered harmful, and will be phased out. New equipment using R-22 can not be manufactured after 2010. The refrigerant R-22 will continue to be available until 2020. At some point, I don't know the year, it will not be manufactured any more but recycled R-22 will still be available until 2020. It stands to reason that as time goes by, the population of R-22 equipment will decrease, which will drive up the prices of repairs and materials.

At this point in time, I would not use the type of refrigerant as a factor, either + or - in choosing a system, There are other variables which are more immediately important.

Old 08-23-06, 06:32 AM
S
thanks so much for the information!! does the price of the lenox system I mentioned sound fair....5,300 ???

thanks again!!

Old 08-23-06, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Price

We have no way to know what is involved in the job, the size of the equipment, nor where you live. All of these have an effect on price.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: