Central AC compressor keeps turning off

Old 08-31-06, 02:12 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central AC compressor keeps turning off

The fan on my central AC compressor intermittently turns off but the blower keeps blowing. I'll notice it when the air from the vents no longer feels cool. If I turn the unit off at the thermostat and then turn it back on the compressor kicks back on and cools the house. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-06, 05:37 AM
J
Without being there, I would first suspect the thermostat. Digital stats are more likely to have this problem as compared to the old very reliable mercury stats. Do you have a digital stat?

Old 09-01-06, 06:30 AM
Wink

With the inside blower still running .Id start at the unit outside. Capacitor good ??? Do you have a high head or low psi cut out in it???? Big copper line cold and wet ? Small copper line warm to hot ? At outside unit when running ?

ED

Old 09-01-06, 11:33 PM
T
I got home yesteday morning and my AC had iced over. When I turned off the blower at the thermostat the compressor kept working instead of turning off. Called an AC service. There was a switch inside the compressor housing that had become stuck in an "up" position. The contact had burned thru. AC tech replaced the switch and all seems fine now. Thanks so much for the input.